What Is Sweetened Coconut From The Pina Colada Cake 4

Baking By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm by kansaslaura

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make this cake, but it calls for sweetened coconut, is that milk, cream, flakes? I am not sure also can I use real rum instead of rum flavoring?

This cake is the best ever! Not to much coconut, pineapple, rum or too sweet. Everyone gulped it down and asked for the recipe

Pina Colada Cake 4
Ingredients
18 1/4 ounces white cake mix
1/2-1 cup sweetened coconut
1 tablespoon coconut flavoring
8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice)
3/4 tablespoon rum flavoring
1/2 teaspoon pineapple flavoring
3/4 cup pineapple juice (saved from can)
1-3 egg (according to cake mix box directions)
1/2 cup butter or oil (according to cake mix box)
Instructions
#1 Preheat oven to 375 (or whatever is on the boxed directions).

1.#2 In a large bowl, place 8 oz crushed drained pinapple, coconut, and the flavorings. Add cake mix.
2.#3 follow directions for the cake mix in mixing the batter. (ie. number of eggs to use, oil, butter etc. Use the drained pineapple juice instead of the water called for in the boxed directions.
3.#4 Pour into greased pan of your choice and bake according to the directions on the box.
4.#5 When done, remove cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.

5 replies
kansaslaura Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 6

That's just regular 'grocery store' coconut.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

That's just regular 'grocery store' coconut.

I must be dense b/c I am still not sure if you mean coconut milk, cream of coconut or coconut flakes

kansaslaura Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 6

Oh sorry-- I should have explained more. It's the regular shredded coconut. (over by the nuts and chocolate chips!)

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you!

do you know if I have to use flavoring vs just real rum and extra pinapple juice, I dont have these flavoring on hand (can run out and buy them) and would love to just use what I'll have, but don't want to mess up the cake.

flavoring lasts a long time on the shelf, right? I dont think I have ever thought to look for an experation date on my vanilla and almond and those are the only two I have ever owned and I go through them enough to not worry. ... ha ha.. this is also coming from the girl that never knew there were experation dates on eggs until my late 20's!!!

kansaslaura Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 6

Rum extract will be stronger than just using Rum. But, to my tastes that would be plenty... a little rum flavor goes a long way, IMHO. I honestly don't think you'll miss the pineapple extract. You could always reduce the juice down a bit and allow it to cool before measuring and adding for a more concentrated pineapple flavor from the juice.

I have never had any flavorings go bad on me. I bake quite a bit and use A LOT of vanilla especially. Now spices are a whole 'nother story. They can loose a lot of flavor in as little as 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%