How Do I Attach Dragees To Fondant?

Decorating By sumerae Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm by mrsbriggs06

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 10

Silver ones specifically, in case it matters!

9 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 10

Depends on how soft the fondant is. If I've just applied the fondant, I normally just stick them in and they stay.

Brushing the fondant with vodka works well also, just don't use too much.

Piping gel works well also, but be careful you do not apply too much.

Water I have found tends to strip the dragees of their color and they slide around too much.

Hope this helps.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 10

My vote is for clear piping gel, but as already suggested DONT USE TOO MUCH. Just a tiny, tiny dot will do, otherwise you will have shiny spots (I learned that the hard way!)

OR, if you have some buttercream the same color as your fondant, you could use a tiny bit of that. That way if you make a mistake and use too much, it will kind of blend in with the fondant.

Good Luck!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 10

I use the tiniest dab of water from a paintbrush, and that has always worked well for me! You could also do the same with clear vanilla!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 10

Oh! I recently saw something called a waterbrush on Global Sugar Art. It's like a pen you fill with water with what looks like a felt tip. If I was going to do this with water I would try that pen if I had time to get it. Looks like a good way to apply just the moisture needed without the accidental drip of water.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 10

i've used craft tweezers to dip them in the tiniest bit of corn syrup.

if i'm placing quite a few, i just pour some of the syrup onto a plate or into a tiny cup.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 10

Vodka. Dries clear - no marks or shiney spots.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 10

I do just like mrsbriggs....I use cornsyrup and dab just the teensiest bit of the dragee into it using tweezers, sometimes I even blot it on a clean section of a paper plate or something and then stick onto the cake. The corn syrup dries and literally "sets" the dragee onto the fondant making it difficult to even pluck/brush off unless you're meaning to.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 10

I just used a little squeeze of royal icing. Here is a pic of the cake I did that way.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 10

oh-- & another thought-- for those teeny tiny ones, i'll push one end of a toothpick 'flat' on a hard surface, then dip that end into just a touch of corn syrup, then touch to a dragee to pick it up. use another toothpick to place a small dot on the cake, the dragee will cling to that & come off toothpick #1.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%