Sturdy Carrot Cake?

Baking By andysprite Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm by daltonam

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for a tasty and sturdy carrot cake recipe. It is for a large fondant covered wedding cake layer. I bought a few boxes of Betty Crocker carrot cake mix to enhance, but I'm too scared to try it as I haven't been impressed with any of the BC mixes. Suggestions?
Thanks!

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 7

I use the Cake Mix Doctor carrot cake recipe that starts with a yellow cake mix and uses real carrots. The Luau wedding cake in my pics is all carrot cake torted and filled with cream cheese icing and pineapple.

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes/what_kind/cakes/carrot_cake_with_fresh_orange.php

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much! Can't wait to try it.

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 7

If you omit the raisins and nuts in this recipe, would you need to make any adjustments to compensate for that? It sounds like a great recipe to try, but I just have a lot of people who request no nuts or raisins.

Thanks,
Angie

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 7

I have a carrot cake recipe (it is very moist--might be more so than you are wanting), but I've never made a cake bigger than a 6" tripled (the candle cake in my pics), 9" doubled or a sheet cake. You're welcome to it if you want it, just PM me so I don't miss a post on here.
As for cake mixes, when I use & doctor them I only use DH.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

I never put raisins or nuts in my carrot cake. So far, no one wants it that way. icon_smile.gif I make no adjustments to the recipe.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I never put raisins or nuts in my carrot cake. So far, no one wants it that way. icon_smile.gif I make no adjustments to the recipe.

I agree with you.....I don't adjust either

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%