Cupcake Questions

Baking By wallysdee Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 12:43pm by bakincakin

wallysdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wallysdee Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:54am
post #1 of 8

I am making about 80 cupcakes tonight for my childs b'day party on sat. is it best to store in fridge overnight before i ice them friday then store again in fridge or can i just leave them out both times?

Also for my buttercream I use 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 stick butter, little milk and flavoring. I found out last time that sprinkles don't stick to well to this just kinda fall off. Do I add more milk or flavoring to make it a softer icing that will accept sprinkles?
Thanks a bunch
Denise

7 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 8

I would store them in frig, and I use the same buttercream recipe as you and have found that if I put the sprinkles on just as soon as I ice them they will stick better, hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 8

I also would store them in the fridge but covered or they will dry out...Same about the icing..put sprinkles on before it crusts...

wallysdee Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 8

by covered would you put plastic wrap over them. I just do not have big enough tupperware to store that many cupcakes. lol

thanks for the sprinkles info i will defentialy do that thank goodness my mom will be helping so one of us will follow the other. lol

Denise

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 8

I wouldn't store the cupcakes in the fridge. Just put them in an airtight container--like a Tupperware. I think you'll run into problems with the papers getting soggy and can possibly dry out the cake. Freezing is a better option. Make sure you take the cupcakes out of the pan BEFORE they cool. I take them out as soon as they get out of the oven... no paper problems that way.

And, I totally agree on sprinkling real soon after frosting. I usually swirl on 3, stop, sprinkle.. 3 more, etc.

If you don't have a large container, just put them on a sheet pan and cover with plastic. They're not going to spoil.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 8

since there isn't a perishable filling that you're putting in the cupcakes I would just leave them on the counter. You can put them in some tupperware containers or a cake box. A refrigerator will speed up the "going stale" process. (i know there is a topic about it somewhere on here, but i don't have it saved)

Your icing should be fine sitting out for a day until the party. As for the sprinkles, ice about 5-6 then put the sprinkles on, if you wait until the end then the icing has crusted and the sprinkles won't stick.

wallysdee Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 8

you guys are life savers! thanks from a newbie that really just got into decorating cupcakes and cakes for the sake of saving on birthday specialty cakes for her little girl. Ya'll have taught me so much!
Denise

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 8

[quote="kansaslaura"]I wouldn't store the cupcakes in the fridge. Just put them in an airtight container--like a Tupperware. I think you'll run into problems with the papers getting soggy and can possibly dry out the cake. Freezing is a better option. Make sure you take the cupcakes out of the pan BEFORE they cool. I take them out as soon as they get out of the oven... no paper problems that way.

And, I totally agree on sprinkling real soon after frosting. I usually swirl on 3, stop, sprinkle.. 3 more, etc.

Ditto!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%