Stacked Cakes

Decorating By oyster Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm by debster

oyster Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:49am
post #1 of 7

Hi, i have only ever done a 2 tier stacked cake but i have to a 3 tier stacked one and i have just relised im not sure how to do the dowling ,could someone tell me how to do the dowls please

6 replies
debster Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:13am
post #2 of 7

It's the same as two, just add your rods to the 2nd layer as you did the first to keep from caving in. I also take a long Wilton wooden rod and measure it, trim the end in a pencil sharpener and spike it though the cake. Just remember any layer that is going to have another layer on top NEEDS rods, pillars or something to stabilize it. Good luck!!! 4 tiers will be next!!!!

oyster Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:40am
post #3 of 7

Thanks depster, for your quick reply, no way doing a 4 tier im not that confident thanks again. this is a brilliant forum

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:42am
post #4 of 7

The only difference between 2 & 3 tier is that you are increasing the total weight on the bottom tier, so the more tiers the more dowels you will need in the lower tiers to carry that wieght. Every tier that carries the weight of another tier needs a support structure.

debster Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 7

Oyster.................... before you know it you'll do a 4 then a 5 then a 7 on and on. (Smiles) Take care.

oyster Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7

thankyou amyscakesncandies i will remember what you have said
debster, i have been making cakes for family and friends now for a while but every cake i ice and decorate i see plenty of faults i just cannot get them just right icon_cry.gif i
thankyou both

debster Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 7

Practice , Practice , Practice. Each one gets better and better!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%