How Do I Get A Perfect Flat Top On A Fondant Cake???

Decorating By sweetbitescakes Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 4:41am by mrsmudrash

sweetbitescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbitescakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 13

I have made dozens and dozens of fondant cakes... but one skill still eludes me! Can anyone offer advice on how to get a really crisp sharp edge on my cake? Just to try and make myself a little more understood - I am talking about round cakes, the top edge.

Hopefully someone can help....

12 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 13

Try 2 fondant smoothers - one on top and one on the side. Gently pull up on the side and out toward the edge on the top, kinda butting the smoothers together at the edge. Keep working until you have the edge as crisp as you want. This must be done while the fondant is still soft. Sharon Zambito (Sugar Ed Productions) has a wonderful DVD called Flawless Fondant showing a similar technique (along with many others), and I'm pretty sure she ships internationally.

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

everyone says ganache is the way to get crisp edges. Im still too nervous to try it! LOL

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33

everyone says ganache is the way to get crisp edges. Im still too nervous to try it! LOL

This is always my reply when someone asks this. You shouldn't be nervous, it's really very easy to make and apply ganache. My only problem with it is that it can be a little expensive. But it tastes really good and you can get super sharp edges. The most recent 5 or so cakes in my gallery (besides the one buttercream/no fondant cake) were all ganache under fondant. I'm actually a little nervous to go back to buttercream now because I don't think I can get the sharp edges with it. you also don't have to worry about bulges with ganache.

I also use the method that ibmoser suggested, even with ganache. Good luck icon_smile.gif

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 13

Ganache is the method Planet Cakes in sydney use to get their super sharp edges on their mad hatter cakes, and they are SHARP. I have also read a lot of people saying the way to get sharp edges on your icing is to first cut sharp edges on your cake, which makes sense! I've also seen the two smoother method in video tutorials, which I can't wait to try as soon as I have a cake to make with fondant. So many things to try, not enough cakes to try them on! How's a girl supposed to get better when people around refuse to have birthdays and things so I can practice?

P.S. sweetbitecakes, I'm in NZ too, nice to see other kiwis icon_smile.gif

sweetbitescakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you all so much for your advice... I wll be trying the ganache for sure! I don't suppose anyone knows of any online tutorials??? I really need to get to Aussie for a planet cake demo!! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply! Thanks so much. Happy caking!

zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 13

Planet Cakes actually do classes, they travel all around Aussie doing them. But not NZ I'm afraid. You might have to grabaseat to Sydney icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, I don't have any links to online tutorials, wish I'd bookmarked the one I watched. It's like someone else described though, two smoothers, butting at one end. I would think the sharp cake edges plus that technique would surely be a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbitescakes

Thank you all so much for your advice... I wll be trying the ganache for sure! I don't suppose anyone knows of any online tutorials??? I really need to get to Aussie for a planet cake demo!! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply! Thanks so much. Happy caking!

debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:

Here is an excellent one. She is a member on CC but I can't remember her name sorry icon_sad.gif

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 13

I also think that ganache is the perfect way to get sharp edges, but is expensive, I use merkens or guittard when is on sale. I read a lot of comments that is not a good idea to use this tipe of chocolate. but if you think about it this is what is use to cover the cake balls. when I make my cakes with this type of chocolate (coating) the cake is eaten right away. try it you will like it

sweetbitescakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 13

Woo Hoo, I'm feeling better about this challenge already! Great tutorial Debbief (thanks so much for sending thru the link)
Zespri.... I noticed that you are a fellow Aucklander... would you be interested in possibly meeting with me, I thought maybe you could be my teacher... cheaper to pay you than get to Australia that's for sure! Also, I don't know how to find members pics on cake central??? help

debbief Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:

Woo Hoo, I'm feeling better about this challenge already! Great tutorial Debbief (thanks so much for sending thru the link)
Zespri.... I noticed that you are a fellow Aucklander... would you be interested in possibly meeting with me, I thought maybe you could be my teacher... cheaper to pay you than get to Australia that's for sure! Also, I don't know how to find members pics on cake central??? help

You're welcome! But I just have to say, I looked at your gallery and your cakes are amazing! I can't imagine that you would need any classes at all.

To find member pics, go to the gallery tab and click on search and then put the member's name in the "search by username" box. Or if you look at the bottom of a member's post, you will see a "photos" button, click on that.

zespri Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 13

ah that's so funny, I too have seen your cakes and they're AMAZING. I only just found this hobby four months ago, I'm a BABY compared to you! I've made a handful of cakes, and they're all extremely clumsy... lol! But it's a darn good idea, and I think you should be my teacher instead icon_surprised.gifP Sadly I work fulltime and have a 1.5 year old, so while I read a LOT about this stuff, I never get to put it into practice, it's all book learning.

I do know of a couple of people who do lessons in Auckland, but like I said, you don't look like you need them. If you want the names PM me and I'll forward them to you.

Quote:

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:41am
post #13 of 13

Ganache is awesome - and I use the upside down method to crumb coat cakes too...amazing!

One other tip that makes for crisp corners when you have a nice crisp corner on your crumb coat is to roll out your fondant as thin as you're comfortable with!! The thicker the fondant, the heavier it is on the cake and the harder it is to keep those super sharp corners on the cake that you worked so hard to get! I know Planet Cake rolls theirs less than 1/8" thick. So, the thinner the better! icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%