Ideas Needed For Cakes I Don't Want To Make

Business By aarklay Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 6:58am by aarklay

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 7

Hi there, I wish to make my hobby a business in the future but there is something really bothering me and I've been hesitant to ask about it in fear of being slandered for it I guess.

There are certain cakes now and in the future I do not wish to make. These include erotic nude cakes and any cakes in the shape of or decorations representing the Cross or Jesus Christ. I know I there will a be a day I am asked to make such things and I would just like some ideas on maybe a notice I should put up on my website or what I can say to them?

I know people will think I'm just silly and it's only cake but it really goes against my Christian and moral beliefs. Am I alone here or is there anyone else who doesn't create these types of cakes either?

Thank you xx

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

The beauty of being your own boss is you set the policies. A lot of people won't do X-rated cakes and they're not afraid to say so if asked.

If you're asked to make a cross for a baptism or similar occasion, try to have alternatives in mind before telling the client you won't do it. For example, you could suggest a bible (if that's okay with you).

If you're opposed to doing any sort of Christian/religious themes, as well as X-rated cakes, don't hesitate to say so, when asked. I wouldn't go out of my way to broadcast that info on the website. You're better off saying no to the occasional request than drawing attention to your unique policy. You never know how a potential customer may interpret it. If they're only interested in a birthday cake, it doesn't even apply to them (usually), so why raise eyebrows unnecessarily.

Dreme Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 7

I personally don't like sexual cakes. I wouldn't want to do one or receive one. Family and friends know my taste and that I would be pissed at getting one. I would not be wowed. It's just not my style. I'm just creeped out by body parts in cake form (I'm also freaked by blood depicted on a cake). I'm fine with doing a cross cake though. If its something i'm not willing, or cant physically do, I just say that its not something I offer and refer them to someone that does.

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 7

Thank you very much for your help icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:54am
post #5 of 7

There is nothing left to say, the two posts covered it! Excellent advice!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JessDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:51am
post #6 of 7

I dont even do cakes as a business and a friend asked me to make a cake for her father.

I was thrilled she came to me and I was happy to help until I found out exactly what she wanted. A hunter-themed cake.

I am a vegetarian and I believe strongly in animal rights. I am also vehemently opposed to killing animals for sport.

I just couldnt do it. I wanted to help my friend, really I did. She knew how I felt but didnt realize how, or even that it would, transfer into cake decorating.

I explained it to her very honestly and she completely understood. We worked out another beautiful design and her father loved it. If she would have went somewhere else, that would have been her perogative and perfectly fine with me as well.

I would do an erotic/exotic cake. I would also do a cross. Everyone is different, people believe and are comfortable or uncomfortable with different things

It might sound corny, but i truly believe that honestly is the best policy. If asked to do something that you arent comfortable with, speak up, offer a different design. If they are OK with it, great. If not, at least you were true to yourself.

I also dont suggest publicizing it on a facebook type page or blog or something similar. People are usually very understanding when you're speaking to them as opposed to just reading one sentence about something you refuse to do, it sends a different ( unwanted) kind of message)

There are so many ideas/designs for any given theme and if you make a potential customer aware of additional choices, you might be surprised with the results.

Good luck to you.

aarklay Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:58am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much, all of your advice is fantastic!! I feel so much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%