Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By sherry-o Updated 1 Nov 2010 , 12:22pm by shannycakers

sherry-o Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #1 of 16

Someone loves the smooth look of fondant, but likes the taste of buttercream. How can I make buttercream look like fondant??? Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

15 replies
leily Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #2 of 16

melvira method all the way. there is an article here on CC. if you search "melvira" in the articles section it will come up. But it only works with a crusting buttercream, if you're using IMBC or SMBC, then i'm not sure pf the answer

This cake was done with it and i had people that thought it was fondant.

mhcl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #3 of 16

Lots and lots of practice;o) Watch edna's video's on u-tube or sugarshack's methods I've heard are really good. HTH

leily Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 16

sorry i didn't post a link before to the melvira method. I had my hands full with my baby.

here's a direct link

cakeflake80 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:04am
post #5 of 16

The melvira method. I will never go back!! All of my cakes are iced in crusting buttercream. I haven't ventured into fondant yet, mostly because of the taste factor. It works like a charm every time.

madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 16

Use a hot spatula(dip in hot water and wipe off with paper towel) when its fairly smooth use a viva paper towel and either a fondant smoother or your hand, I use my hand mostly.............looks like fondant when your done!

lchristi27 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 16

A metal bench scraper works really well too. Melvira has saved me time and again though! The best video for teaching buttercream basics-SugarShacks DVD. Buy it, worth every penny!

Skirt Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 16

IMO, just how air bubble free your icing is to begin with is a huge factor in getting your icing super smooth without pulling your hair out. Smooth icing is half the battle (if not more!). My battle continues with this aspect of decorating (as well as many others...). This batch below was so perfect I actually took a picture! icon_surprised.gif

madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:00am
post #9 of 16

Yes bench scraper...I couldnt think of the name of that thing I use lol............yepper I have all of sugarshacks dvd's.........her frosting is smooth as can be....

suzied Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:12am
post #10 of 16

I swear by the Melvira method. its superb. i also dip the spatula in milk and run it over the top of the cake, and i get a smooth finish. try it.

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:48am
post #11 of 16

Bench scraper and Melvira all the way! Once I discovered Melvira, I've never done a cake without my trusty roller!

As a matter of fact, that roller is so valuable to me, that when we moved, I refused to allow it to be packed. That sucker rode on my lap to the new place and was hand carried inside and put away!!! thumbs_up.gif

All that said, there are other factors. Icing recipe and how good you get at mixing it to the right consistency and texture; just everyday practice and skill at applying it; how good the cakes are baked/leveled/assembled (crappy cakes underneath = crappy looking ice job on the top).

Definitely watch videos by Edna and Sharon! And buy a Melvira roller! thumbs_up.gif

shannycakers Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:16pm
post #12 of 16

ive been wanting to try the melvira method, i currently use a bench scraper, but everytime i go to walmart to buy the roller i get confused on what one to get or what i need. please help with the roller ?? what type, how big?

FrostingKrista Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 16

I am definitely going to try this method! Thanks for asking Sherry-o! I was wondering the same thing icon_smile.gif

Ladyfish74 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 16

The frosting makes all the difference too. The recipe Sharon uses in her sugarshack videos is key. You can find the recipe in the recipe section on this website under "sugarshack buttercream".

suzied Posted 30 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #15 of 16

purchased mine from a hard ware store. its called a high density paint roller( 5/=). mine is a bout 6" length (rollers only) bought a cheap paint roller and took the handle off it and placed the new high density rollers on it. HTH

shannycakers Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 12:22pm
post #16 of 16

ok , great! thank you i will jsut go to the paint store and tell them i need exactly what you just said icon_smile.gif. I looked again at a regular store in the paint section yesterday and saw nothing that said that, so i am going to a paint store only this timeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%