How Much Gumpaste For 100 Call Lilies?

Lounge By lovenintheoven Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 11:05am by cabecakes

lovenintheoven Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 13

How much gumpaste would it take to make 100 call lilies from 4 inch heart cutters? Anyone have a good guess?

12 replies
artscallion Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 13

Really depends on how thickly you'll roll it. The difference between paper thin and almost paper thin can double the amount you'll use. And over 100 flowers, that adds up. Lilies are generally rolled a little thicker than most flowers. But I've seen them anywhere from 1/16" (about what I do) to more than 1/8" thick. That's a big difference in the amount of dough needed for 100 lilies.

Isacake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 13

Sorry for being curious but for what kind of gigantic cake do you need 100 calla lillies? LOL! I honestly don't have any idea on how much gumpaste you would need. I'm still learning how to make flowers, I have discover that they are the hardest and longest thing to do! Good luck with your project.

artscallion Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 13

Or make just one the way you make them, weigh it on your digital food scale, then multiply times 100. Many gumpaste recipes tell you how many pounds a batch will weigh.

lovenintheoven Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 13

Artscallion, thanks! Great idea! I SO love my scale icon_biggrin.gif. And Isacake...it is ENORMOUS!! My larest cake yet, 600 guests!

TabbieCakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Or make just one the way you make them, weigh it on your digital food scale, then multiply times 100. Many gumpaste recipes tell you how many pounds a batch will weigh.

What an AWESOME idea! That goes under the "Now WHY didn't I think of that file!!!!!" icon_biggrin.gif

And good luck to the OP. WOW! 600 people. You are very brave icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 13

Seriously, buy them.

www.avalondeco.com

cheatize Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 13

Ha, ha! I saw Leah was the latest poster and I just knew she was going to say that. LOL
I agree with Leah. I can picture myself getting frustrated when each one wasn't exactly like the other. If I saw them all grouped together, I wouldn't notice those tiny differences. That's a lot to make and a lot of gumpaste to buy. Unless you have oodles of time and can charge what you're time is worth, buy them.

Isacake Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 13

I would also seriously consider buying them! Just the though of were am I gonna put them to dry overnight would push me to buy them. Good luck for this cake, a picture will be in order for us to see!

600 guests, I think I'm gonna faint...

lovenintheoven Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 13

No, can't buy them. That would be "cheating" and they are expecting "hand-made" flower (and paying up for it all!) I have a pot rack at my shop I dry flowers from. AND YES! I am def/ a bit nervous to do 600 guests. The cake is not due until December, but I am starting NOW! icon_smile.gif Thanks everyone!

lovenintheoven Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 13

BTW...the 100 calla lilies (bride's fave flower) represent the 100 callas the groom filled their hotel room with on their last vacation when he propsed!

tracycakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I can picture myself getting frustrated when each one wasn't exactly like the other. If I saw them all grouped together, I wouldn't notice those tiny differences.

I love making gumpaste flowers and I find calla lilies to be pretty easy and quick. But regarding the comment that they need to look exactly alike, I respectfully but completely disagree. I want my gumpaste flowers to look like real flowers and real flowers don't look exactly alike. They are all different, just like people. I consider that each one has it's own personality and are individuals. I think they look fake if they all look exactly alike. That knowledge relieves a little of the "perfection" anxiety.

cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:05am
post #13 of 13

Yeah, I agree with Tracycakes. Calla Lillies are pretty simple to make. I would never buy them if I had plenty of time to make them. I don't think they all need to be identical either. Each flower should have it's own character.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%