Template Questions

Decorating By tsal Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 8:37pm by DianeLM

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I'm making a Blue's Clues cake for my son and I want to make character appliques for the cake. I have drawn out the characters on graph paper to the correct size, covered them in acetate, but now I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

If I roll out my colored fondant thinly, and place it over the template - how do I see where to cut it? The fondant is then covering the template. If I cut it by eye next to the template and try to press it into shape, then won't my appliques be uneven?

I'm lost!

6 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 7

I know it's tedious, but I cut the template out of paper and then put it on top of my fondant to cut with an exacto knife. I roll the fondant (or gumpaste) really thin on a textured cutting board, so it kind of sticks a little bit (the top on the fondant is still smooth). Then I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to get it hard, otherwise it's a pain to cut.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 7

Ah man..get an edible image printer..Much easier....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #4 of 7

The best way is to cut out each piece of your template, like a puzzle. Then, trace around each piece. I usually make several copies of the picture, then cut out various pieces from each. Be sure to keep one intact so you have a reference!

Since some of the pieces may be difficult to cut out with the template in place, I recommend using the tip of an Xacto knife or a tiny wheel to trace around the template, leaving just an indent in the fondant. Remove the template, then cut out where you traced.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

I always cut my templates out of posterboard then lay them on my rolled out fondant or gumpaste and cut with an exacto knife. If you tape the picture to a window and put your white posterboard over it you will be able to see the image through the posterboard for cutting.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips!! I love this site! I will be attempting to cut out the pieces tonight. Here goes!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

Rather than putting your picture up to a window, wouldn't it be easier to glue the picture to the posterboard and then cut it out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%