Attaching A Chocolate Monogram To The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By annathefoodie Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm by annathefoodie

annathefoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annathefoodie Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 5

My first new topic at CC!

I am working on my first wedding cake, and I need some help. The bride wants her monogram on the side of the cake, and she wants it in chocolate... The cake is buttercream, not fondant. Is there a good way I can attach the monogram to the side of the cake and make sure it doesn't fall off?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

4 replies
mikigaelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikigaelen Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

You can attach it with more buttercream. Use it like glue, squirt some on the back and attach. Just let it set and it should stay on as long as the chocolate isn't TOO heavy. If it is just a thin monogram, it should be fine.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 5

I would make a couple extra when making them. You never know what will happen and my experience has been that the thinner the more fragile and chance of breakage at the last minute.

annathefoodie Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I think I may have been making it more complicated than it needed to be! Just getting a little nervous since this is an actual WEDDING cake...

I made twice as many gumpaste flowers than I needed JUST IN CASE... and I will take your advice and make several monograms, too. I took all day off of work tomorrow to make sure everything is perfect.

We have an 80% chance of thunderstorms here tomorrow. Good luck for the bride and groom, but not so sure if it is going to be good luck for cake delivery.

annathefoodie Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 5

The cake turned out fine - no rain, but very humid and hot, my chocolate wouldn't set! I ended up putting the whole cake in the fridge and got chocolate bloom on the monogram. I brushed it with vegetable oil on the advice of my old cake instructor and it saved it! I have attached a picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%