Help With Snowflakes

Decorating By tammik Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm by cheatize

tammik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammik Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

I need some advice on what to do about making snowflakes for a wedding cake. I need some big ones for the cake and also some little ones. They are attached to the sides of the cake. I can't seem to figure out how I'm going to make them. I've been unable to find a cutter of any kind that would work with fondant. Please help me.

Thanks!
Tammi Kinkead

7 replies
cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 8

I have a snowflake cake on my photostream, take a look at it, if you like what you see, let me know, I'll tell you how I did them!!

goodluck!! ~~

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

You could lay down a sheet of wax paper over a snowflake template and pipe them in royal icing. Let them dry and then they should pop right off of the paper. I would recommend piping them on pretty thick because I think they are fragile. HTH!

ChefKristi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefKristi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

You could lay down a sheet of wax paper over a snowflake template and pipe them in royal icing. Let them dry and then they should pop right off of the paper. I would recommend piping them on pretty thick because I think they are fragile. HTH!

I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing. You can also use pearl dust to make them shimmer. icon_smile.gif

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 8
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 8

check out the PME snowflake cutters. They are the plunger type that also emboss the pattern. You can find them at GSA and other places, I think the set of 3 sizes cost around $15.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 8

Here's a link for a set of the snowflake plunger cutters from country kitchen: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=625608

and another one for a set for larger snowflake cutters:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?productId=625608

with these two sets of cutters, you can make @ 6 different sizes, the largest one being about 3 or 4 inches, and the smallest one from the plunger cutters being about the size of a quarter!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 8

If make them from Royal and dry them flat, they won't be flat on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%