Sparkling Sugar

Decorating By JuliaAnna Updated 25 Oct 2010 , 12:21am by leah_s

JuliaAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliaAnna Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever used the method of covering a cake with sparkling sugar on anything other than a fondant covered cake? I'd like to use this on a cake I'm doing this weekend. My Aunt & Uncle's 40th anniversary. My aunt is the one who taught me to decorate soooooo many years ago, but she has not kept up to date on the most recent methods. She's a die-hard buttercream person and has a real aversion to fondant. So I wanted to ice a red velvet cake with a cream cheese buttercream icing and use the sparkling sugar and decorate with gumpaste flowers. Am I asking for problems or is this possible? I'm thinking the icing will probably crust, but will it crust enough for me to paint with piping gel to make the sugar stick. OR... will I even need the piping gell if I apply the sugar quicly enough? So much to think about.

5 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 6

You should be able to press the sugar into the frosting with the gel. I haven't tried this with cream cheese so check first to make sure it works.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have seen cakes covered in the clear/white sparkling sugar and they were beautiful. I would just make sure the sugar is the same color as the base frosting so there is no color bleed.
Be sure to post the pic. I would love to see it. thumbs_up.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 6

I am a cake eater not a maker so I had to look up what sparkling sugar was and wow. I found this pic below and it's beautiful!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrumptiouscakes/4315035408/

JuliaAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliaAnna Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 6

Can't even believe this happened. After I finished shopping for all of my ingredients, the party got cancelled and so, therefore, did the cake. Couldn't do much about the cost of the ingredients since it was a cake for family. C'est la vie. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. Will probably still attempt this method at some later time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 12:21am
post #6 of 6

I've done a ton of sparkling sugar cakes. I've NEVER done one on fondant. Always buttercream. It's ridiculously easy. Before the buttercreme crusts, just press on the sugar. And your base coat does not have to be perfect either. I've used colored bc before too. It gives a lovely effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%