Chess Mold

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 12:30pm by rcsnickers2

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 9

I bought a chess mold for candy mold from amazon. My son wants a chess cake. I know to melt the chocolate candy and pour it into the mold. Set and take out.
My question is this, the mold is half a piece. how do I make the whole chess piece?

As if they were to play a real chess game on the cake? Otherwise, I will have half a chess piece sticking up and that won't stand?

Thanks!!!

oh the cake is for this weekend... so help is needee quickly!!!!!

8 replies
sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 9

Make each half a head of time and use a smidge of piping gel to "glue" the 2 halves together??

rcsnickers2 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

I thought of that but using buttercream to hold. Would that work or stick with piping gel?
thanks.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 9

A dvd on chocolate that I have shows warming a clean, smooth cookie sheet (unlike my very used and abused ones). Wearing gloves to prevent fingerprints, place the flat backside of each piece on the warmed metal. Pick them up quickly and fit them together - you may need to kinda move them around on the sheet a bit to get a flat surface. The metal cookie sheet melts the flat side to a smooth, softened surface, so all you have to do is clean up the edges when hardened. You should be able to handle the warmed cookie sheets in your bare hands - you want them warm, not hot.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 9

I put the half that was dried and hardened directly onto the newly poured second half. You have to be careful not to press too hard but mine came out great.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with ibmoser...you can also use a little melted chocolate, but to get it as seamless as possible, you should melt one side on a cookie sheet, or use a warmed offset spatula. icon_smile.gif I've done just that with the chess pieces, and it worked great! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 9

If I turn on my oven and place a cookie sheet on the back burner, will that be too much heat? I know that burner gets warm when the oven is on (electric stove). I just used that to my advantage tonight to warm up cookie dough enough to roll it out.

If it would be too hot, how do you keep it warm? Just stick in a warm oven for a minute or two every time it gets cool?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:42am
post #8 of 9

How about putting a heating pad under that clean smooth cookie sheet?
Set it to whatever lowest temp works best for the chocolate.

rcsnickers2 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 9

my luck ... I would have a melted mess. If it were not a birthday cake for tomorrow I would test it and try it. But my record says it will fail on short notice. The piping gel is holding well. My son is happy!

Thanks for the all tips! You guys are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%