You've Got To Be Kidding Me !! *venting** (Long)

Decorating By careylynn Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 11:25am by Karen421

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #31 of 69

I, like everyone else, put your beautiful cake in my favorites immediately. My MIL is a passive/agressive and would have gone around telling everyone behind my back how terrible she thought the cake was. I have suffered in silence for almost 30 years, but luckily her own children are finally realizing what a loon she is(it's not just me)!!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:03pm
post #32 of 69

"Beggars can't be choosers" This is what I always tell my kids! The cake is beautiful and the bride was happy. To me, the bride and groom are the most important people who we need to impress or make happy. I think older people find different textures and taste to be much different then the regular person.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #33 of 69

"And what did the B&G think of it?" (She answers that they loved it, which you already knew). "Which is all that matters so we're done here." (But Sweetie, I'm just trying to help you.. ) "Great thanks, your kind of help only makes me want to strangle you so please don't."

Your cakes are stunning - the wedding cake in particular, I noticed it in faves - and your MIL is the kind of person who is only happy when she is tearing others down. Oh, and an idiot.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #34 of 69

Thanks, Careylynn....I just sent you a link for step by step instructions for the cake stand!! ~~

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #35 of 69

Are you still making free cakes? I would love to put my order in! icon_biggrin.gif

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:19pm
post #36 of 69

Don't let your MIL get you down, you did a fantabulos job!!
Making "free" cakes is never worth it unless it is as a surprise icon_smile.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #37 of 69

My MIL called me last night to "inform" me that my cake was too sweet and that she tried telling me to do a "less" sweet cake before hand.....

so even if you made the next cake EXACTLY to her sweetness level so know the color will be off a shade or the shape should have been round or not square or some other ridiculous nit picky thing !!!!!

Cakegirl74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl74 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #38 of 69

The cake is just stunning, so elegant and beautiful.

I agree that your MIL was totally out of line with the complaints. Even if she thought the cake was too sweet (although, come on, it is cake and it is supposed to be sweet, that is after all what makes them so good). She should have spent more time saying how lovely the cake is and how happy she was that you spent all that time and effort doing something for her to give someone. She could have said "it was a little sweet for my taste, I would have preferred something a little less sweet but I thought it looked amazing and I thank you for all the effort you put in" and it would have been a much better way to say the same thing. Obviously she must have problems with only looking at the negatives. It can be so hurtful but know that your work was appreciated by so many other people who attended the wedding and now those of us on CC who didn't get to taste but have certainly enjoyed looking at it. Next time though, you need to charge a huge amount for that type of work.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:52pm
post #39 of 69

Wasn't her cake, anything about the cake isn't her business. Tell her she's being rude and hang up the phone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:23pm
post #40 of 69

In my ever so never humble opinion, your MIL is just a b*tch. The kind that give us GOOD mothers in law a bad name!! icon_mad.gif

That is one of the most awesome cakes I've seen. You did a fabulous job!

sugarmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarmimi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:29pm
post #41 of 69

That cake is amazing.
Your MIL has no idea what she is talking about. She basically got a wedding gift for free.
As long as the bride is happy it doesn't really matter what she thinks.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #42 of 69

I don't know about anyone else, but I just LOVE Indydebi!! *~*

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #43 of 69

your MIL is jealous of you.

the cake is stunning! she's jealous that you have amazing talent, and her son!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

The lesson learned here.....

No More Freebie Cakes

ESPECIALLY FOR FAMILY!!!!!

I agree with this, and with the "tell her to go suck eggs" comment. If she even tries to bring this up again tell her to shut up, you checked with other people who disagreed with her on the "too sweet" thing, and that you won't be doing any more cakes for her ungrateful butt. She sounds like a bully, and bullies only understand things when you stand up for yourself and tell her that you're not playing her stupid games anymore.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:07am
post #45 of 69

That cake (and your others) looks fantastic. If it was what the bride wanted and she was happy with it don't sweat it. Like you said your mother-in-law doesn't like sweets, so I wouldn't consider her to be a good judge of flavor for cake (which is supposed to be on the sweet side lol). I would remember that if she ever asked me to make anything for her again...and she probably will. Give yourself a big pat on the back. It really looks great, and I'm sure that it tasted just as good. Forget her. Did she at least pay you for it, or was she trying to get out of that too. And don't tell me relatives won't do that...I'm speaking from experience.

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:21am
post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdaughter

I'm so sorry to hear about what she put you through. How dare she! I'd love to view the cake, and read that you said it was your last pic posted. Being a newbie here-how do I find it? Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

Underneath my writing right here, it has different boxes... click on the photos box, and viola icon_smile.gif

careylynn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

"And what did the B&G think of it?" (She answers that they loved it, which you already knew). "Which is all that matters so we're done here." (But Sweetie, I'm just trying to help you.. ) "Great thanks, your kind of help only makes me want to strangle you so please don't."

Your cakes are stunning - the wedding cake in particular, I noticed it in faves - and your MIL is the kind of person who is only happy when she is tearing others down. Oh, and an idiot.

Hehe.. I'm one of those people that can't think on my feet. I'm terrible with come backs or confrontation for that matter. Maybe next time, I'll tell my MIL, or whomever is attacking me, to "hold on"...scramble to the computer and ask all of ya what to do. icon_smile.gif Then I will be super-prepared and ready to tackle the world...lol icon_smile.gif

careylynn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:25am
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

Thanks, Careylynn....I just sent you a link for step by step instructions for the cake stand!! ~~

Thanks icon_smile.gif !!!!

careylynn Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:30am
post #49 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In my ever so never humble opinion, your MIL is just a b*tch. The kind that give us GOOD mothers in law a bad name!! icon_mad.gif

That is one of the most awesome cakes I've seen. You did a fabulous job!

WOW!! What a compliment especially coming from YOU icon_smile.gif !! Thanks!!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:31am
post #50 of 69

Can't add much to what the others have said but wanted to ditto that the cake was AMAZING. Extremely beautiful and one to be very, very proud of.

This is why MILs get such a bad reputation. Always something to carp about.
Boy am I lucky, I have the most amazing, wonderful MIL EVER.

At least it gives you an excuse to refuse her next request. "I don't think so MIL. You were so disappointed and had so many problems with the wedding cake - I just couldnt' do that to you again". hee hee

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:35am
post #51 of 69

First of all your cake was very elegant. You should be very proud of your first wedding cake. Everyone has an opinion and you cant please everyone wether it's a free cake or some one paid for it. Everyones taste buds are different. If the bride and groom were happy then it doesn't matter about anyone else. When a friend or family ask me for a cake I usually do it for free as long as I get to say flavor and design. If the want an opinion in the design or flavor they get a discount. Tell your motherinlaw it was her gift to the bride next time let her make the cake and you can criticize her choice of flavors. Be proud of your cake and let no one tell you or make you feel any different. YOUR CAKE ROCKED!!!!!!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by careylynn

I'm one of those people that can't think on my feet. I'm terrible with come backs or confrontation for that matter. Maybe next time, I'll tell my MIL, or whomever is attacking me, to "hold on"...scramble to the computer and ask all of ya what to do. icon_smile.gif Then I will be super-prepared and ready to tackle the world...lol icon_smile.gif

This is exactly why you need to prepare a politically correct response that will keep the peace. Memorize it, and use the EXACT SAME PHRASE whenever this particular cake is brought up in the future by your MIL. If she brings it up 30 times, use the EXACT SAME PHRASE 30 times! You will not be rude or abrasive or evasive, you will simply repeat the EXACT SAME PHRASE in a pleasant tone of voice.

It is magical! Usually within 5-30 times (depending on the particular MIL or other person you are using this on), the issue will never be brought up again. You also need to prepare a Magic Phrase for any future cake requests by MILmemorize it, use it, and repeat as needed.

I learned this technique from a human relations instructor many years ago and have blessed that man a thousand times. (When I was married, I once had to use the phrase 27, yes, I said 27 times! before it was not mentioned again. My MIL was hard-core.)

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:20pm
post #53 of 69

Oh wow! Your MIL gives MILs a bad name for sure. I'm going to be an MIL for the first time next year and I can't wait!!! My DIL-to-be had asked me to do the wedding cake and a groom's cake for my son - I'm so honored!
Your cake is beautiful your mother-in-law is an idiot.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:32pm
post #54 of 69

THAT IS A REALLY NICE CAKE!!! You should have more confidence in your work.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #55 of 69

Beautiful work. I would tell that b**c* that I would never do anymore cakes for her, Or if you do , charge a great deal of money. She should feel lucky and priviledge to have a daughter in law like you.

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

I don't know about anyone else, but I just LOVE Indydebi!! *~*

LOL Yep! Same here! She shoots from the hip..

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #57 of 69

Me too! And I love your cakes'

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

With all due respect, tell your MIL icon_evil.gif to go suck an egg. Your cake is absolutely beautiful!!!!

I agree thumbs_up.gif

Your cake is stunning!!!!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:41am
post #59 of 69

That cake is absolute perfection! You put a tremendous amount of work into it and it shows. Beautifu job.

Now, when the subject comes up again (as I'm sure it will) remind your MIL very sweetly that you spent HOURS on that cake and that she got it at cost. (Which was far too generous on your part) If she would like to ante up the full price of the cake you would be more than happy to listen to her complaints and criticizisms but since she has only paid cost she doesn't have the right to complain. And then stick her on the "No cake for you list"

And as for her wanting to help you gain experience, honey, you'll do just fine on your own. Your work is flawless!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 12:55am
post #60 of 69

I didn't have time to read through all the posts, so forgive me if I'm being redundant but, can I just tell you how much I HATE when people say they didn't like the cake, pie, frosting, etc., because it was "too sweet"??!? It's cake for crying out loud! If you don't want something "too sweet" then go eat an orange!!! Arrgggg!!!!!!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest...your MIL was WAY out of line to go off on you like that for 15 minutes. If the bride was happy (and it sounds as if she was thrilled!) that's all that matters so tell your MIL to keep her comments to herself and go stuff an orange in her mouth!

Wow. I think I must be PMS'ing.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%