Add Buttermilk To Cake Mix?

Baking By cakeythings1961 Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 12:53pm by kansaslaura

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 10

I do a lot of cakes for local charities, and I'm looking for a quick way to bump up the flavor of a cake mix. So many of my scratch recipes have buttermilk in them, so I was wondering if I could just substitute buttermilk for the water called for on the box? Or will the acid somehow interfere with the chemistry of the mix?

9 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 10

I add alot of sour cream to my recipes, for scratch & box. I don't think you would have any problems. Maybe try it out before you have an order.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 10

Should be just fine! I've done it before.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 10

If I have buttermilk on hand when I do a chocolate or red velevet cake mix I will use it. I've even used it for white or vanilla when I knew it was going to go bad before I'd make pancakes again (the main reason I buy buttermilk).

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:08am
post #5 of 10

Thank you, everyone!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 10

yes it will be fine

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:51am
post #7 of 10

My favourite chocolate cake calls for buttermilk but I just use plain milk, one because its cheaper, and 2, I never seem to get the opportunity to go buy buttermilk, since its not something I would normally have in the house.
Does anyone think I am spoiling the recipe? (What is the difference?)

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 10

I think subbing plain milk for buttermilk would just effect the taste somewhat. I never knew about storebought buttermilk until I started caking. At first I used the powdered stuff, but didn't like how yellow the cakes were. I switched to buttermilk and may never go back. I love the taste in a cake. If I buy a carton for a cake and don't use it all, I just measure it out a cup at a time and put the freezer until I need it again. I have nice 2 cup containers with screw on lids that work great. Of course, I miss out on the pancakes that way. icon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 10

Sweet _Toof, you can sour regular milk to use as a substitute for buttermilk. I think it's one or two tablespoons of vinegar in a non-reacting one cup measure and then pour milk in to make one cup. I use apple cider vinegar but you can use any kind. Probably not balsamic but...that would be cool too I guess for some experimentation?

You can google it--the substitute for buttermilk.

And if using regular milk hasn't affected your outcome then you're great. But yes buttermilk is an acid in the recipe and not using it might affect the outcome if there's no other acids to react with whatever ingredient in there that it needs to react with.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 10

Buttermilk can be frozen and here's what I do. Measure out what your recipe calls for. Pour that amount into a sandwich sized ziploc bag. Carefully work the air out of it and lay on a flat cookie sheet or whatever sized pan wiill fit into your freezer. Repeat with all the buttermilk.

If you're forgetful *as I can be!!* I mark the bag with the amount with a sharpie. When the buttermilk is frozen take all the little bags and put them inside a larger freezer bag. When it's time to make cake, just pull one out and since it's flat, it will thaw quickly.

IMHO, there is no subsitute for real buttermilk in a recipe, and yep, it's worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%