Need Advice For A Cake For This Weekend

Decorating By Hillywu Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm by Hillywu

Hillywu Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake for this weekend. It's a WASC with raspberry puree filling and covered with dark chocolate ganache and then MMF. I have two questions:

1. Can I make my dam out of the ganache? The ratio is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream. Will it be strong enough to hold the raspberry puree in? (The tiers are 14", 10" and 6" rounds, made to be short tiers)

2. I am planning on filling the cakes Thursday a.m. and letting them settle all day, then putting the ganache on Thursday evening. Friday evening I'll put the fondant on. The question - should I refrigerate the ganache covered cakes overnight Thursday, then take them out and allow them to come to room temp (refrig. because of raspberry puree) then put the fondant on? AND Should I refrigerate them once the fondant is on? I'm using Rhonda's MMF and I don't think I've ever refrigerated it before. The cake design is very simple. It's just stacked, with a black satin ribbon around the base of each tier and small dots piped in clusters of three over the cake. I'm going to cover the back of the ribbon with wax paper or packing tape so it doesn't bleed on the white fondant.

I'm concerned about putting the fondant in the fridge, but also concerned about leaving the raspberry puree out. The RP recipe says you can leave it out for 2 days, but I don't know.

Anyway, I knew I'd find sound advice on CC icon_biggrin.gif Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated!

Thank you!!!

2 replies
KJ62798 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 3

As long as the ganache has set up to a thick, peanut butter-like consistency I think it would be OK for the dam. You could also use a stiffened chocolate BC so that you dont have a random white line in the cake.

I put fondant covered cakes in the fridge all the time. It helps to have it in a box which will absorb some of the moisture. Let the cakes come to room temp before you handle them. They will "sweat" some condensation after fridge-time but that will evaporate. If you touch them while they are wet, you will get fingerprints.

Hillywu Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Kristy! I didn't even think about using chocolate buttercream! Duh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%