How Did You Start Doing Sculpted Cakes?

Decorating By uniquecreations Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm by uniquecreations

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 10

I am having more and more customers calling and wanting cakes that I do not know how to do yet. My question is how did you get started did you just take the order anyway or did you turn it down until you knew you could do it. I had a customer today that wanted a lingerie gown on a cake or a shoe. Well I have not done either one yet and so I turned the order down because I did not want to mess up somebody's cake. But I know I cant keep turning down business so what would you do? I am starting to practice doing these things but havent mastered them yet any advice?

9 replies
BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 10

I took the order and just jumped right in. I figured if it was a disaster, i wouldn't charge her anything. Luckily, she LOVED it! Equally as important, I learned a ton from doing it. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I don't regret it because of all i learned.

I guess sometimes it's better to take the leap. As someone wise has said, "it's just cake."

uniquecreations Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 10

I thought about taking it but I'm just always concerned that i would mess up somebody's cake.

FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 10

I'm with BosCakes icon_smile.gif It's a great learning opportunity to try new things! This website has an amazing amount of information from all the Great CC's! I used to fear the Topsy Turvy, but took the order anyway and it has paid off icon_smile.gif Good Luck!!

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 10

That's how I learned to make so many different types of cakes... just do it! Yes it's scary... But since I rarely make the same
cake twice if I turned down these new cakes I'd never make a cake.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 10

I'm a hobby baker so I started sculpted cakes for my kids. If I made one for a friend, I told them that there were no guarantees since I had never done it before. You'll learn very quickly.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 10

The only way you will learn is to jump right in. My first one was the airpane in my photos. When I took that order, I had no idea how to go about it. Give yourself enough time to work. You can do it.

uniquecreations Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 10

thank you all so much for your encouragement. Just as you all have said I will just have to do it!!!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 10

May I ask a question pertaining to this topic? How do you price your carved cakes, I'm at a loss for that.

uniquecreations Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 10

I have seen where people charge anywhere from $4.50/per slice and up I guess it depends on the complexity of the design

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%