Wilton Romantic Cake Help

Decorating By Jamie-Leigh Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 7:59pm by manahigh

Jamie-Leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie-Leigh Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:37am
post #1 of 8

So I bought the Wilton Romantic cake set to make a birthday cake for my daughter, but I thought I should try it out before the time came to make the cake to make sure I could do it.

I've only decorated a handful of cakes, and everything I've done so far is self taught, so don't be too harsh on me. icon_redface.gif

The cake turned out nice, and the buttercream smoother than I could have hoped for, but I couldn't get the towers to stay up in the cake. I followed the directions and attached dowel rods, but it just didn't turn out and the towers kept falling off no matter what I did.

SO, I've seen a lot of cakes made with this set in the gallery, and I was hoping somebody could tell me how they fixed this problem with their cake?

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:02am
post #2 of 8

A lot of people glue the towers with chocolate or royal icing.
xx

Jamie-Leigh Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

Well, I tried gluing them with the candy melts, but it still didn't work.

brincess_b Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:26am
post #4 of 8

a lot of people also dont like this kit for this exact reason! some times if its possible, its best not to pre-assemble the cake, put the towers on when its in its final position.
xx

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 8

It isn't you, it's the frigging castle set. The towers are just too tall and thin.

Jamie-Leigh Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks guys. I'll try waiting to put the towers on.

Does anyone have other suggestions for towers?

brincess_b Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 8

cardboard tubes covered in fondant or gumpaste, mini swiss rolls, tubes made from gumpaste or pastilage. all work really well!
xx

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 8

I had my husband drill holes in the bottom of the towers, the same size as my dowels. Insert the dowels through the hole and then insert the bottom half into the cake. Hope that makes sense. You still need to use candy melts to help secure the towers that stand on your cake board. I still waited until after delivery to put the towers on and even with all that (as you can see from my posted picture) the towers still wanted to lean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%