Shiny Fondant

Decorating By teresamariegross Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm by cdgleason

teresamariegross Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:08am
post #1 of 5

I have seen cakes and decorations made out of fondant that are shiny. Any idea how they do it? I am new at this but need all the help I can get

4 replies
zespri Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:55am
post #2 of 5

I have heard that steam makes them shiney, though unless you had something portable that would be hard. Or hold it over a kettle... lol One of my books suggests using some vegetable shortening for a little bit of a shine. It's not glossy, but defiitely shiney.

Ladybug09 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 5

I've used crisco & also used spray Pam. Pam is much shinier but you have to be careful when spraying on a cake decorated with black fondant. Ask me how I know! icon_biggrin.gif

smurffy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

I have used a couple of different methods to get shiny fondant. The steamer idea works really well, but you have to make sure not get the fondant too warm or it will melt. I have also tried the Crisco method. You have to figure out the correct way to apply the fondant so that you don't get white spots in parts of you decorations that are not smooth. And the last method that I have used which works great is to put the piece in the refrigerator. When you take it our and it comes up to room temp it will be shiny.

cdgleason Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 5

there are also a couple types of 'edible' varnish on the market! I use one that you can paint on, I"ve seen another kind that is a canned spray, when you're all done, just spray away!!
you could probably do a quick internet search and find an 'edible varnish'.
with that said, I think the most common and cheapest method, is steam!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%