Dowels Thru 4 Cakes

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm by lauralee422

lauralee422 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 5

HI ALL!! I have never done any cake more than 3 tiers, and i have a 4 tier coming up. I feel like i have to do the big dowel down the middle (usually i just dowel each individual cake.

I am very intimidated by this-- i can't imagine sharpening a dowel enough to get thru the cardboard under each cake. Do i have to hammer it down? I feel like I'm going to smush my cake. My top cake is going to be a 3", do i really really need that long dowel? icon_wink.gif

4 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:25am
post #2 of 5

First, you only need to do that if you are delivering it fully assembled. And if you're doing that, be sure you can lift it, 'coz it will be really heavy!

Second, if you DO go that route, yes it works just like everyone says it does. I was a doubter, too, until I was forced into my first pre-assembled 3 tier and HAD to dowel it for transport. Sharpened the dowel, hammered it a couple of times and it went thru like a hot knife thru cold butter! I even kept my eyes open and everything! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

lauralee422 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 5

HAHAHA well I do appreciate that! You have given me some confidence.. I am delivering so I'll be doing my first full cake dowel. Thank you for the help!

icer101 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

Lauralee422 , i am confused, when you did the 3 tier, did you not put a long dowel down the middle to travel. I know you said you doweled each tier. but did you travel with that 3 tier stacked. eviddently not. you must have stacked when you got to venue. Also, check out the single plate system that is under forums,etc. Great directions by Leah_s . Good luck with your 4 tier cake.hth

lauralee422 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 5

From what I hear that is a no-no.. but YES I have many times not doweled the entire cake and my usual cake is a 3 tier. Some times the ppl come to my house and get the cake but i never do it and have yet to have a problem [knock on wood!]

I suppose I've been lucky to this piont. I have never constructed my cakes on site and have been ok. From now on I will be sure to dowel the whole thing. This weekend I'm doing a 4 tier, but this one is for my son at home so I won't be traveling.... I might try just for practice to do the entire cake. YIKES!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%