Calling All Structural And/or Sps Geniuses ... Help!!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 3

I'm trying to figure out how to put together an eight-layer 3D corset cake with the SPS system. I have four 8-inch cakes, all torted, and carved down to an hour-glass shape .... check! But I purchased the tall SPS columns so I could throw them all the way down through the tier, and didn't think about supporting my tier halfway down (after four layers of cake, in the middle of the hourglass shape, if you will). I'm new at the SPS, and got a little over-excited to be using this fantastic system, so neglected the things I would NORMALLY have no problem with.

SO! My question is that! How would you go about supporting this cake? Would you stick with the plan of four columns going throught the entire tier with no midway cake circle? Or would you scrap the SPS system entirely and support as I have in the past, treating the one tier as two separate tiers with a set of dowels and cake circle halfway through? There is no good way to combine the two, right? And it's certainly too late to buy an extra SPS disk for in the middle of the cake (my little girl's birthday is this weekend) ...

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 3

If you aren't supporting anything on top of the cake, the tall support system is useless. Cut the legs down, and use the supports for every 4" of cake height.

emiyeric Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 3

No, I'm absolutely supporting two small tiers on top (6 and 4 inches), though that might not merit the use if the Sps. But if were to use the 4-inch legs and divide the thing in two, I would probably end up using the 6 inch plate instead of the 8 inch simply because of the tapered nature of the corset carving. Thanks for any suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%