Need Help With Homemade Fondant

Baking By Saddy Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm by milkmaid42

Saddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saddy Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 16

I live in Pakistan and readymade fondant is not available here. Ive used MMF but i dont like the taste of it. I've tried making fondant with thecookduke.com's recipe and while it turns out ok, its not very pliable and tears if you try to lift large pieces... i can never get the perfect fondant finish. icon_sad.gif

If anyone has ANY tips on how i can make nice elastic fondant I'd be really grateful...

15 replies
snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:00am
post #2 of 16

I use this recipe I found on this website. It is great!

Ingredients
¼ Cup Crisco, used for kneading the dough
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, used to grease the bowl for melted marshmallows
8 Cups Mini Marshmallows, very loosely packed
2½ Tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
2½ Tsp Clear Butter Flavored Extract
½ Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp. Corn Syrup, helps with pliability
2 Lbs Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp. Dream Whip
Instructions
Grease the inside of a large microwavable bowl with butter.
Put marshmallows, vanilla, butter flavor and water in bowl.
Microwave on high for 60 seconds. If marshmallows are completely melted your ready, if not stir and return to microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Add in corn syrup.
Fit mixer with the dough hook and pour in powdered sugar, dream whip and salt, mix well. Carefully add in the liquefied marshmallow mixture to powdered sugar mixture. Mix at low speed until incorporated. Turn mixer up to low/medium speed to knead until majority of sugar is blended in. **There may be a little that will not mix in-thats ok. You can hand knead that in, if the dough is to soft.**

Turn fondant onto a flat surface that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Knead fondant until smooth and pliable. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap than a ziplock bag. Let dough rest for at least an hour until it has cooled. If fondant has become to stiff to work with place in microwave for 10-15 seconds than rub your hands with shortening and knead until pliable again.

Fondant can be made up to 2 weeks in advance as long as it is wrapped and sealed up tightly.
**to change flavors try different extracts**
Coconut MMF- change- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 tsp. butter extract, 2 tsp coconut extract, change 3 tbsp. water to 3 tbsp. coconut milk

White chocolate MMF- 7 cups marshmallows and 4 oz. melted white chocolate, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp butter extract

Chocolate MMF- 7 cups marshmallows and 1/2 cup melted baking chocolate, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp butter extract

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 16

I've used this recipe too. I've not had any luck using my KA mixer to make it so it's a bit more work to kneed it all by hand; but well worth iticon_smile.gif It tastes great too! HTH!

Saddy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:55am
post #4 of 16

Thanks but i am actually more interested in recipes that dont rely on marshmallows icon_sad.gif

Saddy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:03am
post #5 of 16

Btw whats RTR

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:23am
post #6 of 16

There are alot of cakers on here that stand behind Michele Foster's fondant recipe. I'm one of them, but I knead in a little bit of tylose for added workability.
If the taste of this isn't for you then I've heard of people working with modeling chocolate or marzipan as an alternative. Possibly rolled buttercream too. Hope this helps.

jones5cm Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 16

Sorry Saddy, but I don't know of any recipes that don't use marshmellows or at least the ingredients of them (egg whites and sugar) for fondant. You can always change the flavor of it by adding any number of flavorings as mentioned by snazzygem. I use almond flavoring a lot.
Not sure where you saw 'RTR'; but if you're referring to 'HTH' - that's is 'hope that helps'icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 16

FOUND A RECIPE FOR YOU...check it out and let us know if it's what you're looking for...http://thatreallyfrostsme.com/. found it on a blogspot by one of our CC friends - THANKS tastyart!

Saddy Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #9 of 16

Thank you SO much jones5cm!!!

I,m going to try this recipe today!!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepijoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepijoun Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:18am
post #11 of 16

I got this recipe from another site, and haven't tried it yet. Maybe you can tell us if it works.
Rolled Fondant
POWDERED GELATIN    1.25 OZ.
COLD WATER    11 OZ.
GLUCOSE - liquid    27 OZ.
GLYCERIN - liquid    2.5 OZ.
SHORTENING - melted    5 OZ.
10X POWDERED SUGAR - sifted    10#

Yields enough Fondant to cover a 14", 12", 10", and 8" cake.

NOTE: Before beginning make sure everything is meticulously clean. Including mixing bowl, paddle attachment, work table and your hands!

1. In a stainless steel bowl, sprinkle powdered gelatin over the cold water and allow this to sit (bloom) for 10 minutes. Then place over a simmering water-bath and stir to (dissolve) the gelatin.

2. Add the glucose and glycerin to the gelatin mixture. Then stir in the melted shortening. Make sure the mixture is warm!

3. Place the sifted powdered sugar into your mixing bowl, reserving some to adjust consistency later. Add the liquid mixture to the center, and mix on low speed with a paddle until the mixture comes together and is smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX !!!

4. Remove from the mixer, place on a clean worktable and knead with additional powdered sugar if necessary to make a pliable consistency. It should be easy to roll!

5. Keep tightly covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:26am
post #12 of 16

Here's the link to the aforementioned MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant). I've used this and MMF and I like this one a lot better: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:28am
post #13 of 16

Hi Saddie, I have a recipe that doesn't use marshmallows and is very good to handle. Its an old recipe and I am thinking of making it in bulk and using the food saver to put it into packs so that I can just pull it out and use it when I need to.

But being lazy at the mo I just use the one I buy. But here is the recipe:-

1kg of icing sugar
15g gelatine
1/4 metric cup of water
1/2 metric cup liquid glucose
21ml glycerine
30g copha butter

Method:
Sieve icing sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly dissolve gelatine in the water in a saucepan over medium heat, but do not allow it to boil. Add glucose and glycerine to hot liquid and stir until combined. Add copha, allow to dissolve. Stir liquid into sieved icing sugar. Knead in bowl until combined, then remove from bowl and knead until smooth and pliable. Colour if desired. It is now ready to roll out and apply to your cake.

Please note I am from Australia so I use metric measurements. I think copha, which is widely available here, is like an American white shortening.

Hope this helps.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #14 of 16

RTR refers to Ready To Roll.
After trying many fondant recipes, my all-time favorite is Michelle Foster's Fondant, (MFF). I like the variety with the white chocolate added. It gives it a wonderful workability and flavor, even when I add other flavors to it. I have gotten to the point now where I never use BC under the fondant. I find that white, or chocolate ganache gives the best flavor and ease with getting the fondant smooth. But that is a whole other thread...

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #15 of 16

Hi Milkmaid, do you know where I can see Michelle's fondant recipe? Your description sounds great so I would like to try it to see how it goes here in Australia. Cheers

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 16

Hi Colliegirl,
Here is the link:http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant
It may sound long and complicated, but it is really simple. She just takes care to explain carefully.

Here is another recipe posted that differs somewhat in the amt of the gelatin:http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant

It might be a little confusing, but the questions and answers of both posts might clarify it for you. I always use the 2 Tbs.version and let the mixture cool to luke warm before adding. And I always strain it first, as the one time I thought I didn't need to do this step, I ended up with little rubbery globs of gelatin in the finished fondant. I have never since had it fail. It is definitely my "go to" recipe.

Edited to add: I always use the heavy cream. There are many variations to flavor, but I have always used different LorAnn oils in addition with the white chocolate version.

HTH, Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%