Did Anybody See Buddy Do This.

Lounge By casme Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:12am by Rose_N_Crantz

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 7

On an episode of Buddy in Italy Buddy decorated a cake with an art picture (made of cake) and attached to a 2X4 piece of wood. He stuck it directley into a cake. I am sooooooooo tired of these cake shows doing things that are not food safe. And 1/2 of the cakes are not even cakes. I swear the one where he is doing the huge sandle or flip flop is placed directly on a piece of masonite.Does this bother anyone else.

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 7

Oh, I hear you! It drives me nuts seeing and hearing so much bad info.

Buddy also covered pieces of fondant in disco dust (ground plastic) and raved about it being edible. I e-mailed them asking them to correct & retract, but they never have..............

Buddy also constantly sticks wires--plain and wrapped in floral tape-- directly into cake-----YUCK!

Rae

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

I just got around to watching that episode with the painting stuck in the cake. Pretty gross. Although many things he (and many others on TV) do are disgusting. How many times do they show Buddy doing something with his hands (kneading fondant, making flowers etc) and then a client walks in off the street and into the kitchen and he instantly shakes his hand, and then goes back to work after talking to them. I mean, I know I'm a germ-o-phobe, but that makes me ill. What if that dude had just left the public restroom and not washed his hands or sneezed or whatever right before he came in the store.

I tell you too, I'd love to see more hair nets or at least long hair pulled up. Wonder how many stray hairs end up in these high dollar cakes??

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #4 of 7

I agree with both of you. I too am pretty phobic when it comes to cooking.Where is the health department when all of this is going on?

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 7

there was a similar post regarding ace of cakes a while back.

most of the stuff they do is for the camera. it is required their hair be covered, hands washed, etc but for the show they don't show it or do it because it doesn't look good...they will also redo a scene over if it looks bad just like a regular sitcom.

what drives me crazy is that they don't mention PRICING.

there was a show on a couple months back for several weeks FABULOUS CAKES, they were the first ones to mention the price of the cake each designer was doing.

fuchica2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuchica2007 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

I just got around to watching that episode with the painting stuck in the cake. Pretty gross. Although many things he (and many others on TV) do are disgusting. How many times do they show Buddy doing something with his hands (kneading fondant, making flowers etc) and then a client walks in off the street and into the kitchen and he instantly shakes his hand, and then goes back to work after talking to them. I mean, I know I'm a germ-o-phobe, but that makes me ill. What if that dude had just left the public restroom and not washed his hands or sneezed or whatever right before he came in the store.

I tell you too, I'd love to see more hair nets or at least long hair pulled up. Wonder how many stray hairs end up in these high dollar cakes??

Aww dont be so hard on him... tv has editing remember. I highly doubt the show is seen in real time.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:12am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuchica2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

Aww dont be so hard on him... tv has editing remember. I highly doubt the show is seen in real time.

I agree. The boring stuff (washing hands, changing aprons, etc.) had ended up on the cutting room floor. Watching everyone in the bakery drop what they're doing to replace a five tier cake that was just dropped down the stairwell is what gets the viewers.

And I also agree with posting prices. However today I was watching a taped episode of TMZ where they got Buddy coming out from a cake convention. The pap asked him how much his cakes are worth and Buddy answered. "One of those huge cakes that moves? About 20 grand." Harvey just about flipped when he heard that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%