Cake For 400

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 22 Oct 2010 , 2:29am by TheBakingNurse

TheBakingNurse Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 6

I recently got asked to do a flag themed cake for the company I work for. I am stoked about the opportunity and have gotten some great design ideas, however I am not sure how to go about making a cake of this magnitude. Any ideas on how big this would have to be? Concerned about refridgeration of such a large cake... Also i am not sure of pricing for this cake...all will be made from homemade MMF and butter cream. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

5 replies
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 6

You could do a tiered cake, starting with a 14 or 16" bottom. Alternate layers with bottom being red/white stripe, next being blue with stars, etc. Or make all the tiers white and make a "draped" flag from top to bottom.

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 6

avoid using any perishable fillings and the cake does not have to be refrigerated at all.

Four 12x18's, side by side and double layered (= 18x24, two-layer cake) will serve 216 (1x2x4 = 18 rows by 12 columns).

A 16" 2-layer round on top of this will serve another 100 (316 total).
A 12" square on top of this = 72 = 388 total.
--------------------------
Another option is lay four 2-layer 12" square cakes together (creating a 24x24). this will serve 288. You could then put a 2-layer 12x18 on top of this (serves 108 = 396 total). Here's a photo of a smaller version I did of this layout: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292680

whichever way you go, be sure you have help to lift it AND a super sturdy board. This sucker will be HEAVY!!

TheBakingNurse Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your input! It is very helpful and greatly appreciated!!! icon_biggrin.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 6

I once made a massive buttercrean american flag to serve 500 for an area festival and three of us assembled & decorate it onsite. If you have a vargo van for delivery you could probably make in advance & deliver completed (with a few helpers to carry) It made quite the spectacle, not sure if the onsite work is appropriate for your event but this is how we did it:

We set up with 1 work table to hold our supples & 2 saw horses with a 5x8 sheet of foil wrapped 3/8" thick plywood.
The approxomately 4x6 2 layer cake was made out of 18 half sheet cakes and about 80lbs of buttercream
It took 3.5 hours onsite to complete.

Pricing- well I guess it would depend on how you typically figure pricing. One way is using the "per piece" method, a lot of bakers use this method you would simply calculate your pp price x amount of servings. Since I do a lot of unusual cakes, Pesonally I prefer to price my cakes as individual cakes. I calculate my costs and add an upcharge of 40- 50%, then I estimate the hours I will need to complete the project and add $25 per hour. If the cake requires delivery & set up I charge according to distance.

TheBakingNurse Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 6

Thanks...the company decided to go with a much smaller cake along with other desserts. I was really looking forward to the challenge...oh well i still get to make the smaller cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%