What Type Of "frosting" Do You Use With Frosting S

Decorating By TeeAngel Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 3:02am by guiltyparty

TeeAngel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeeAngel Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 5

I went this weekend to my local Cake and Candy supply store and purchased a printed frosting sheet so I could play with it at home before I invest in a unit of my own. However, I have no idea what type of frosting (icing) I should use for the best results. Any recommendations from the pros?
TIA
Tee

4 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

Any icing works just about, however it needs to be flat and moist. Depeding on the brand of icing sheet, you will also need to make sure that you use a white icing. If your icing is not moist, you can dampen it with a damp paper towel or you can spray a mist of water on it.

TeeAngel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeeAngel Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you - I played with my first cake this weekend and 'almost' love the results. I am having problems with my colors not coming out 'right'. I print on paper and the colors look GREAT - I print on the frosting sheet and my blue looks more green. Any ideas?

I bought my icing sheets from a local store. I think they are called KopyCakes in Torrance Calif.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 5

The KK brand has a yellowish hugh to the paper, so you may see some of that. Try printing with paper setting to Matte and keep everything else on the defaults and see if that helps.

guiltyparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
guiltyparty Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 5

Hello!

I'm new not only to printing on cakes, but baking cakes... and frosting... period. I'm not much of a baker either by hobby or trade (yet) but I am making an art piece for a drawing class I am taking. I bought some supplies from icing images and the website and this forum have been very helpful icon_smile.gif

Just wondering if someone might post a basic, white frosting recipe that they have used successfully for printing with icingimages sheets & epson gold label ink? Yes... I'm that remedial... I have never made buttercream or fondant before. I read about the paper towel trick to get them smooth already so I hope that works...

I found some buttercream recipes but am a little confused... some of them have different ingredients, does this make a difference with how it reacts to ink?

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/buttercream-icing/Detail.aspx has shortening

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/quick-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-recipe/index.html no shortening

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/decorating-with-fondant-recipe/index.html is fondant better because it is harder?

If any of you have advice or links to other parts of the forum where this is discussed I would appreciate it ever so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%