How To Get A True Red Fondant??

Decorating By soodles Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm by CNCS

soodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soodles Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 17

Hi!
I am in the middle of planning my next cake and would like to use red fondant for one of the layers...
The last time I tried for red, I ended up with a dark pink colour.. not what I wanted at all..
I don't want to buy...
I am using a mmf that I made myself...
Any suggestions anyone???? I was using Wiltons red red colour gel last time...and lots of it lol!!
Thanks for your help!

16 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 17

Try americolor red. I personally buy it for best color

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 17

I use Cke Craft Super Chinese Red.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 17

I skip the hassle and purchase mine from Satin Ice. It's dyed and ready to go. I do the same with Dark Blue, Purple and Black. Always consistent without any of the mess.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 17

I purchase it as well, but I use Fondariffic. (love that stuff). I used to make my own MMF, but after all the mixing, baking, sifting, coloring, blah blah blah with everything else, I figured it's one less thing on my list to do if I buy it icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 17

If you really want to make it yourself, use Americolor SUPER Red - it is more concentrated red color - I make my own red fondant all the time and it works like a charm. Sometimes I add a little less glycerine in my recipe (MFF not MMF) to counter the added gel color, but you could use a little more powdered sugar.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 17

After several attempts and failures at trying to achieve the "perfect red" (seems like you get it to where you like it and after it sits it changes color and also gets really soft) I gave up and now I just buy it. Same thing with black.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 17

Wish I could offer help but I haven't had any luck with red. I resort to buying Satin Ice in the bold colors and black.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 17

AngelFood4 (here in CC) gets her marshmallow fondant really red.

Here's a link to her instructions (Ferrari cake at the bottom with red fondant she made herself).

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Rhiannon1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon1121 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 17

Duffs fondant is awesome, smells and taste delicious!! Can get 40% off coupon from Michaels still pretty pricey but def. worth it!! I think anyways!!! icon_biggrin.gif Used to make my own MMF and still do for all colors except black and red!!

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 17

I use Americolor - 1/2 Super Red and 1/2 Red Red

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

AngelFood4 (here in CC) gets her marshmallow fondant really red.

Here's a link to her instructions (Ferrari cake at the bottom with red fondant she made herself).

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Thanks for posting this. Very good info!

soodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soodles Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks everyone!

I did buy black today.. I guess i may have to with the red... less hassel!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:37am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by soodles

Thanks everyone!

I did buy black today.. I guess i may have to with the red... less hassel!

If you're making MMF then color the melted marshmallows BEFORE adding the powdered sugar. I do this for red AND black. It takes SOOOOO much less coloring, and SOOOO much less kneading.

I colored the MMF for this cake this way and it took me maybe an additional 1-2 minutes from my normal white batch of MMF b/c i had to add a little bit more PS to get the right consistency. it's the ONLY way i make dark colors now (if i don't buy them)
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 17

I also agree that you should add the food coloring to your melted marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar if you are making MMF. I have made red once using Wilton's no taste red and a little bit of black and it came out good. However from now on any time I need colored fondants I am just going to save myself the hassle (and the mess) and buy my own.

SimplyKate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyKate Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 17

this is my first time to post anything here, been a lurker for quite sometime. Anyway, for darker colored fondant I always airbrush the color.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #17 of 17

I usually start with some yellow knead it in really well then a bit of orange the the super red. Yes it takes a while but its a pretty red when it rests.

Americolor is the best to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%