A $350 Wedding Cake

Decorating By khasbargen Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 1:02am by LKing12

khasbargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khasbargen Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 38

One of my hubbys cousins called me and asked if I could do a wedding cake for her. 4 tiers(6, 8, 12 & 16), along with 4 sheet cakes, wanting to serve 300-350ish (this is her desire, I have not sat down to figure out what she would actually need).

Sheet cakes being red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Wedding cake being marble with raspberry filling and buttercream with scrolling on each tier. The catch, she already had another quote of $350 for all of this!

Could you honostly do this for $350? And WOULD you do it for $350? I said it sounded like she got a great deal, and I couldn't do it for that price, AND deliver it 75 miles away. Thoughts?

37 replies
melindak30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melindak30 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 38

I have a feeling you would end up losing money once you account for your time involved.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 38

Save yourself time and headache. Don't do it. Just tell her you have prior obligation or something.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 38

If you're going to give her 350 servings for $350 that's only $1 per serving!! Even if you went with 300 servings, that would work out to $1.26 a serving. If she got a quote for $350 from someone else, I (personally) would tell her that $350 is a great deal and she should go with the other guy! Most minimums in my area are $2-$2.50 a serving.... so she'd be lookin at an $875 quote for that amount of cake thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 38

Nope....The cake alone feeds 192..I price my cakes at $3.00 a serving for BC and $5.00 for fondant.The base price alone for the tiered cake would be $576.00 without no special embellishments like flowers etc...

If she did honestly get a quote for that she'd better stick with it because you would be out a whole ton of money if you did it for that...

and I never even added in the sheets cakes yet..... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 38

No, that's too cheap. That's probably less than $1 per serving. First you need to find out if these are round or square tiers. Figure up the total # of servings for the 6, 8, 12 and 16 inch tiers plus the number of servings for the 4 sheet cakes. You may have well over 350 servings of cake (especially if the sheet cakes are 2 layers so that the slices don't look so different from the wedding cake).

I'm sorry, if someone is willing to do that job for $350, they can do it, unless you really, really want the job and it comes with great exposure.

bonton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonton Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 38

I don't think I would. That is a lot of cake and TIME for that amount of money. I did a 25th anniversary cake four tier for 150 people for $375.00. Unless you need the money, tell her to go back to the person that quoted her that price.
Bonton

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 38

tell her she should go with the other caker as its a great deal!

i had one bride come in with her *coordinator* the bride booked with me 5 tiered cake (just posted it) and two sheetcakes. in total to serve approximately 500.

when the bride left the other one came back in and said she thought it was too much but she didnt tell the bride then proceeded to tell us that she has a friend who did her cake for 600 ppl for $300!!!

we wondered why they didnt go to her and dh actually met her at the wedding and she said because of her health she stopped doing cakes.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 38

$1 a serving to me is ridiclous plus the travel. I wouldn;t even let a second pass before I told her for $350 and 350 servings she should take up the other baker on her offer before she realized she was going to lose time and money on the order!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 38

I am sorry, but I do not believe there is another caker. I think she is just trying to take advantage of you. Don't do it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 38

I'm with everyone else. I'd tell her (and yes, I HAVE told brides this, too) that she found a great deal and she needs to go with it.

I'd also give her some "tips" ...... "Now one thing you need to double check is whether your venue has any legal requirements, like copy of licensing and insurance, and to make sure this baker can provide that." and I'd share the story of the bride who had no wedding cake because the venue refused entry to the unlicensed baker. icon_rolleyes.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasbargen

I said it sounded like she got a great deal, and I couldn't do it for that price, AND deliver it 75 miles away. Thoughts?

I'm so happy that you told her this. I'm so scared I'm going to get caught not saying the right thing & then be stuck doing it.

The_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Cakery Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 38

I used to do cakes for people for drastically reduced prices because I felt guilty that they couldn't afford anything more. However, I ended up sacrficing so that they wouldn't have to. And it shouldn't be like that because you're offering a service.

Personally, I would tell her to go with the "deal" she found. Though I'd have to warn her that you get what you pay for. (Gosh, I know that probably sounded mean, but it's true! tapedshut.gif )

Good luck!

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cakery

Though I'd have to warn her that you get what you pay for. (Gosh, I know that probably sounded mean, but it's true! tapedshut.gif )

I had this happen when I worked at the power cord company. A customer told me he could get a 25' vacuum cleaner cord shipped from China for about 80 cents. Now, MY cost to MAKE this same cord was in the $2-$4 range. And he found a place to make it, sell it to him for 80 cents AND make a profit?

I told him, "Are you sure there's copper in that thing? Because the copper alone will cost more than 80 cents." icon_eek.gif I also 'suggested' he have it independently tested thru the UL laboratories because "gosh, I'd really hate to have one of my favorite customers sued becaues a house burned down and killed someone due to a bad cord." icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I am sorry, but I do not believe there is another caker. I think she is just trying to take advantage of you. Don't do it.

That's what I thought, too. Also, tell her that if she can get it that cheap to make sure the dollar store bakery delivers it to the right place.

khasbargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khasbargen Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 38

I'm glad I'm not the crazy one!!! I love all of your posts!! And I do have to say that I had to hold back with all of my might, not to say, be careful, you get what you pay for! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought like this.

I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time on trying to help her out, when she had other objectives. But being dh's family, I wanted to be a part of it. BUT...if she's wanting to go the other route, go for it, by all means!

Like DH said, now you can just go to the wedding and enjoy. No stresses for you before hand. And he also said, there's probably not someone else willing to do it at that price, just trying to get a low, low price. Very true! She's not afraid to ask for a handout icon_eek.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:43pm
post #17 of 38

I had a bride who called me with an "emergency". Her baker backed out at the last minute because she got another job. When the bride told me she quoted a 3 tier square to feed 225 (not that I've seen one of those) for $150, I told the bride flat out "no wonder she got another job!"
A person who is charging that type of price may not be fully committed to it and not take it seriously.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGFan

Save yourself time and headache. Don't do it. Just tell her you have prior obligation or something.

I agree, aint worth it! And you wouldn't make a penny....

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

a 3 tier square to feed 225 (not that I've seen one of those) for $150

WHAAAT?? That's a new low! icon_confused.gif

I agree with everyone else, NOT worth your time and energy!

BellaRoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRoca Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm with everyone else. I'd tell her (and yes, I HAVE told brides this, too) that she found a great deal and she needs to go with it.

I'd also give her some "tips" ...... "Now one thing you need to double check is whether your venue has any legal requirements, like copy of licensing and insurance, and to make sure this baker can provide that." and I'd share the story of the bride who had no wedding cake because the venue refused entry to the unlicensed baker. icon_rolleyes.gif

So do you need a license to bring a cake into a venue? Im new to selling cakes and wasn't sure about this....
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:46am
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRoca

So do you need a license to bring a cake into a venue? Im new to selling cakes and wasn't sure about this....
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Many venues are requiring licenses now. I'm a hobby baker, just for friends and family. I was told I couldn't make the cake for my MIL's 70th birthday because the restaurant said it had to be commercially made. They got her one of those $10 Sams club 5" cakes with the cupcakes around it. Soooo special. thumbsdown.gif Since it was a 5 hour drive I didn't mind not doing the cake, but I sure wish they would've splurged for something a little nicer. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:53am
post #22 of 38
Quote:

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

It depends on the facility, but i was finding that more and more places are requiring it, and its due to (the magic word that we use on here a lot) LIABILITY issues. I can't think of one major hotel in the city of Indpls that will permit a hobby baker to bring a cake in to an event. I've allowed a fellow CC'er to 'rent' my kitchen so she could make the groom's cake for her niece or nephew's wedding because the hotel said no cakes from an unlicensed kitchen.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:56am
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

I was thinking the same thing, she is trying to get the cheapest cake, just quote her your reg price.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:28am
post #24 of 38

I'm really concerned about this issue. I have a wedding cake coming up and I'm doing it as a gift for some friends of mine. Its at a hotel, i'm so afraid they will ask me for my licence, my friends said not to worry, I warned them about this, and told them to ask before I make the cake. Well they don't want to ask in case they won't allow it. I have made cakes before and taken them to several other venue's and no one ever asks me if I'm legal. Oregon allows home kitchens so maybe they assume I'm legal. I get so nervous when they hover around, so afraid they will ask.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:39am
post #25 of 38

good job for standing your ground and saying no! i really want to open a cakery one day but some of these stories about customers just floor me!

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:43am
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

It depends on the facility, but i was finding that more and more places are requiring it, and its due to (the magic word that we use on here a lot) LIABILITY issues. I can't think of one major hotel in the city of Indpls that will permit a hobby baker to bring a cake in to an event. I've allowed a fellow CC'er to 'rent' my kitchen so she could make the groom's cake for her niece or nephew's wedding because the hotel said no cakes from an unlicensed kitchen.

When you "rented" your kitchen, does that mean the cake was actually baked there?

Vonda

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 10:53am
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I'm really concerned about this issue. I have a wedding cake coming up and I'm doing it as a gift for some friends of mine. Its at a hotel, i'm so afraid they will ask me for my licence, my friends said not to worry, I warned them about this, and told them to ask before I make the cake. Well they don't want to ask in case they won't allow it. I have made cakes before and taken them to several other venue's and no one ever asks me if I'm legal. Oregon allows home kitchens so maybe they assume I'm legal. I get so nervous when they hover around, so afraid they will ask.

Chances are nobody will ask, but it wouldn't hurt to call the venue yourself to find out. It will be worse if you show up with a cake on the wedding day and they DO ask to see your license. Better safe than sorry.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:34am
post #28 of 38

Wow, moralna is right. I think there isnt another baker, she's just giving you the price that SHE wants to pay for her cake. AS IF! Dont do it! You will not make any money...That what you're gonna spend on supplies alone, or what ever decorations she's going to want

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:32pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

When you "rented" your kitchen, does that mean the cake was actually baked there?

Vonda

Of course. that was the whole purpose.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:08pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasbargen

One of my hubbys cousins called me and asked if I could do a wedding cake for her. 4 tiers(6, 8, 12 & 16), along with 4 sheet cakes, wanting to serve 300-350ish (this is her desire, I have not sat down to figure out what she would actually need).

Sheet cakes being red velvet with cream cheese frosting. Wedding cake being marble with raspberry filling and buttercream with scrolling on each tier. The catch, she already had another quote of $350 for all of this!

Could you honostly do this for $350? And WOULD you do it for $350? I said it sounded like she got a great deal, and I couldn't do it for that price, AND deliver it 75 miles away. Thoughts?

Tell her to go with her first quote....she's getting a steal.....the 4 tiered cake alone from me would cost about $500 minimum and her total order would come in near $1000!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%