Wilton Whipped Cream Mix

Decorating By LillyCakes Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm by 3GCakes

LillyCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 6

So yesterday I got a last minute order for a 1/2 and 1/2 cake that was 1/2 a sheet (lol!!!). She did not want buttercream so I decided to use the Wilton whipped cream icing mix that comes as powder and you add cold water to it. I had a couple of problems with it.

1. It really did not have a good taste to it. I even added vanilla and that really did not help a bunch.
2. I was doing some flowers and it kept melting, making my roses look droopy.

So I have decided, that until I can perfect the whipped icing then I won't make a cake that requires it.

What is your experience with Wilton's whipped icing and what recipe do you prefer?

In the mean time I am going to get some Pastry Pride and see how that works out for me.

5 replies
cakemaker2 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 6

You"re gonna LOVE the pastry pride, and never even consider trying the wilton whipped icing again!

SugarMoon Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 6

I've been unable to find bettercreme or pastry pride in my area so I made do with the Wilton whipped frosting. I used slightly less water than it called for and it held up nicely for piped swirls on some cupcakes I did for my daughter's birthday. True, the taste was absolutely nothing like the "Bakery Whipped" that I love so much - but if you add strong flavoring the texture is a nice change from super heavy and rich buttercream. I used a coconut emulsion. I don't think a regular vanilla extract would cut it, but perhaps a Butter Vanilla emulsion?
Also - I definitely don't think that this stuff was meant for piping decorations, just frosting. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Annie8 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

I often use it as a filling, but I add flavoring to it. I've added smashed oreos, chocolate pudding, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, or lemon curd. People seem to really like it.

cakemama18 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have never heard of pastry pride.. Where do you buy it?

3GCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

I used to love using their whipped icing mix, but I think they probably changed the formula after the guidelines on trans fat changed. I used to use it all the time, but I haven't used it now for a long time.

It used to hold up really well for me, but I don't think it holds up very well anymore. And my whole family used to love the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%