Wilton Whipped Cream Mix

Decorating By LillyCakes Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm by 3GCakes

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 6

So yesterday I got a last minute order for a 1/2 and 1/2 cake that was 1/2 a sheet (lol!!!). She did not want buttercream so I decided to use the Wilton whipped cream icing mix that comes as powder and you add cold water to it. I had a couple of problems with it.

1. It really did not have a good taste to it. I even added vanilla and that really did not help a bunch.
2. I was doing some flowers and it kept melting, making my roses look droopy.

So I have decided, that until I can perfect the whipped icing then I won't make a cake that requires it.

What is your experience with Wilton's whipped icing and what recipe do you prefer?

In the mean time I am going to get some Pastry Pride and see how that works out for me.

5 replies
cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 6

You"re gonna LOVE the pastry pride, and never even consider trying the wilton whipped icing again!

SugarMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoon Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 6

I've been unable to find bettercreme or pastry pride in my area so I made do with the Wilton whipped frosting. I used slightly less water than it called for and it held up nicely for piped swirls on some cupcakes I did for my daughter's birthday. True, the taste was absolutely nothing like the "Bakery Whipped" that I love so much - but if you add strong flavoring the texture is a nice change from super heavy and rich buttercream. I used a coconut emulsion. I don't think a regular vanilla extract would cut it, but perhaps a Butter Vanilla emulsion?
Also - I definitely don't think that this stuff was meant for piping decorations, just frosting. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

I often use it as a filling, but I add flavoring to it. I've added smashed oreos, chocolate pudding, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, or lemon curd. People seem to really like it.

cakemama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama18 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have never heard of pastry pride.. Where do you buy it?

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

I used to love using their whipped icing mix, but I think they probably changed the formula after the guidelines on trans fat changed. I used to use it all the time, but I haven't used it now for a long time.

It used to hold up really well for me, but I don't think it holds up very well anymore. And my whole family used to love the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%