The Ongoing Creamcheese Filling Question...

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 9:20pm by sweetmonkeycheese

SaraClassic Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 12

OK, so whats the REAL deal on the Cream Cheese filling?? Do I have to put it in the fridge always? I think so... But do I? And how long can it sit out you think? What if its hot out?

And is there an alternative thats similar and yummy that does not need to go in the fridge?

This questions constantly hounds me...lol
THANKS!!

11 replies
SaraClassic Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 12

anyone else have this same question ?

Kellbella Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 12

I can only speak from personal experience, I have filled and iced cakes with cream cheese filling and left them out for up to 3 days (that's my normal time to fill, ice, decorate, stack ,etc) and have not had a problem.

onceuponacake Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 12

I always refrigerate it, but that's me. I've heard both sides.. you HAVE to refrigerate it. You DON'T HAVE to refrigerate.

I also read that cream cheese can stay out of the fridge for two hours. Somewhere else I read that the sugar keeps it from spoiling. Somewhere else that it doesn't. Conflicting!

I know that butter can stay out without a problem. When the dept of agriculture came in for an inspection we had butter out and he said that was fine. That butter has been kept out of the fridge for decades and its not a safety or health issue.

I still refrigerate my cream cheese filling or iced cakes icon_lol.gif

trixieleigh Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 12

Ditto Kellbella!

Pastry-Panda Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

I'd have to agree with Kellbella that I've let cream cheese icing sit out for about 3 day on a carrot cake that was filled and iced with it and had no problems , but I'm sure the food saftey gurus wouldn't agree.

Stephy42088 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 12

ive kept mine out for days and they have been fine, no issues with me, my family or any customers. my understanding is that the sugar content preserves it.

divinecc Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 12

Sharon Zambito sent me a link to a recipe on her blog, she says it is stable for several days. Here it is:

Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

Hope that helps, I think it is posted in the recipe section as well.

divinecc Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Sharon Zambito sent me a link to a recipe on her blog, she says it is stable for several days. Here it is:

Kathy Finholt's Crusting Cream Cheese Icing:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Kathy says:

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.
This makes a fairly stiff icing if you use 3-1/2 lb. Powdered sugar. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar. Can stay out of fridge for several days. Freezes well.

Hope that helps, I think it is posted in the recipe section as well.

I think the key to it is the sugar ratio.....

SaraClassic Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks ladies... I have done both also, but really wondered what the "deal" was icon_smile.gif Guess we will just stick with the tried and true, sugar preserves for a few days theory icon_wink.gif

kristanashley Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 12

That recipe you listed is the exact same one that I use, and we have left it out for days and it still tastes wonderful.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 12

But it tastes so yummy when it's cold!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%