Fondant Only Bow

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm by CakesbyCarla

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 7

Can I successfully make a bow (like for a gift box cake) out of fondant only. I'm considering getting some Fondarific and make a bow. The cake is due on Thursday. Will it be dry and sturdy enough to sit on top of the cake?

6 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you can make a bow with just fondant. I could be wrong, but I thought fondarific was the brand that stays soft (Duff Goldman used it on an episode and I"m pretty sure they commented on that - again though - I could be wrong).

I use the wilton brand for these types of project. It is easy to work with and dries really sturdy. I've made lots of bows and confetti with it. You will need some royal icing or white chocolate or something to put the bow together - FYI.

Let the loops for the bow dry as long as possible. I try to make mine up a few days ahead of time.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1692756

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346149

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

I use Fondarific and it's stays soft. I have used fondant for a bow, but it needs at minimum 3 - 4 days to dry. I keep Satin Ice or Fondx on hand for fondant decorations that need to dry. I've even added tylose and/or gumtex to Fondarific and it doesn't help a whole lot for drying.

DeeDelightful Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 7

Ok, thanks for all the great information. I think I have some gumpaste made up and i can add that to some fondant i already have made and do my bow.
Carla, your Avatar is TOO cute!...very appropriate! Thanks again for your replies.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

my baby shower cake with the giant pink and white bow is only fondant (mmf actually) I made the bow pieces a day or to ahead. Just make them thin and make lots, so they support themselves as they are not super strong. Make sure to make lots of extras for breakage!

Stephanie

DeeDelightful Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, SMBEGG

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! And you're welcome. icon_smile.gif I have an avatar I use for a different site that has me in the glasses, posing with Ron Ben Israel. I'm a geek, what can I say? LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%