New Business

Business By JosCakes Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm by leily

JosCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone, just signed up to this forum and it looks fab so far.

I've just started my own business too in cake decorating. I;ve been decorating and baking cakes for friends and family for about 8 years now and finally got up the courage to go it on my own and start it as a business. As I'm very very new to this whole thing, has anyone got any ideas, hints or tips to help me along.

My daughter has created me a wonderful website www.joscakedesigns.com if anyone has a mo to look on it and tell me what you think that would be great as I'm not very techy so anything fancy looks brilliant to me icon_smile.gif

Thanks, look forward to getting some great tips

Jo x

8 replies
leily Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 9

welcome to cake central. There is awealth of information here, expecially in the business forum.

I took a look at your cakes and the first thing i saw was that you have some licensed character cakes (pooh, eeyore, little mermaid) I would suggest removing those as they are copyrighted characters and it is illegal to reproduce them in the form that you have. If you would like to do characters like that you can either purchase toys to put on the cake or order the cake kits which are approved for cake use (they can be ordered from decopac or bakery crafts)

Also, on your pricing page i don't actually see prices listed, i just see numbers for the servings for each size of cake.

daltonam Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 9

Welcome to CC!!

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 9

she did a great job on your website! It's very colorful without being too busy.

I would add some info about your location on your "contact us" page. While the info is on your FAQ page, most people look for a location on the 'contact us' page.

And yeah, your pricing page doesn't have any pricing.

scp1127 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 9:52am
post #5 of 9

Congratulations and the best of luck! I didn't see your location until I looked at your FAQ page. You may want to put the area you serve on the home page prominently at the top.

Apti Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

Your daughter did an excellent and professional job on the website. Tell her "Well Done!"

Went thru the entire site and have comments on the following:
Cupcakes photos: Harvest pictures great, but mauve, chocolate, etc. pictures are oblong, not round cupcake photos.
Naughty Cakes: The picture is of naughty cupcakes (very cute by the way), but the description is of a cake. You need to post a photo of the cake and a line of description about the cupcakes.
Testimonials: In the Night Garden/Playstation/Tea & Biscuits for One do not link to the photo when you click on them.
Pricing - well you know that from previous posts
FAQ's - Is two weeks enough lead time for all your cakes, including wedding? Perhaps a statement that wedding cakes require more lead time and need to be cancelled a minimum of a month (or whatever) before the date?
Service area? Again, mentioned above, but perhaps on your home page after the 1st paragraph?

bluejeannes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I took a look at your cakes and the first thing i saw was that you have some licensed character cakes (pooh, eeyore, little mermaid) I would suggest removing those as they are copyrighted characters and it is illegal to reproduce them in the form that you have. If you would like to do characters like that you can either purchase toys to put on the cake or order the cake kits which are approved for cake use (they can be ordered from decopac or bakery crafts)

ok, so Im also new to the business of cakes. Does this mean that we can't do any character cakes? Like, I have a Lightening McQueen cake pan from Wilton and I want to use it to make a cake for my son. Why I start my business would I not be able to use that photograph of his cake on my website?

cakesdivine Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeannes

Quote:

ok, so Im also new to the business of cakes. Does this mean that we can't do any character cakes? Like, I have a Lightening McQueen cake pan from Wilton and I want to use it to make a cake for my son. Why I start my business would I not be able to use that photograph of his cake on my website?

You can use the Wilton cake pan to do your son's cake but not a customer's cake. If someone is paying you then you can't reproduce it. All Wilton pans specifically state for home use only. If you put it on your website then customers will think that you can do that cake for them too.

leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeannes

Quote:

You wouldn't want it on your business website, because it is assumed that if it is on your business website that it is an item for sale. It could be posted here on cake central in your porfolio, or on a blog that you did it, but you can not use the character pans for resale cakes. It is stamped on the pan that they are for home use only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%