Looking For A White Buttercream For Decorating

Baking By ReesieT Updated 27 Oct 2010 , 6:36am by JanH

ReesieT Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi there. I am looking for a great recipe for a friend making a Dora cake for her sons birthday. it is a star piping type of cake so it needs to be one that can hold its shape. i have been batteling finding a good frosting. I appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

4 replies
JustBakedCakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 5

This is the Wiltons Buttcream recipe. It's all I use:

1 cup solid white shortening
1 tbsp Merigue powder
1 pound of confectioners sugar (about 2 cups, thats what I do)
1 tsp butter flavor
7-8 tsp of water
pinch of salt ( I never use that)

Cream shortening, flavor, and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have beend thouroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so until creamy. At this time I see if its the consistency I want. If I want it medium consistency then add more water. Keeping adding water until it is the consistency you want, which for decorating is medium.

I use this on alllll of my cakes and everyone loves it. I also add vanilla to it to take away alil of the buttery taste.

ReesieT Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 4:47am
post #3 of 5

Thanks i need to make a birthday cake for my hubby next week so I will try it thanks!!

JanH Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:16am
post #4 of 5

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/layered/sheet cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

JanH Posted 27 Oct 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by New2cupcakes

1 pound of confectioners sugar (about 2 cups, thats what I do)

Actually, two cups of granulated sugar = 1 lb.

Domino advises that a pound of confectoners sugar yields 3-3/4 cups:

http://www.dominosugar.com/content/136/measurement-conversion-charts.aspx icon_smile.gif

And since Crisco went transfat-free, Wilton now recommends this recipe:

Quote by @%username% on %date%