Sculpted Cakes

Decorating By Mary050175 Updated 31 Oct 2010 , 2:29am by Mary050175

Mary050175 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 10

New to the site and new to sculpting cakes. Could use a little direction on a cake I am making for my brother for his birthday. It is going to be of a dog bank that he has had since he was a baby. The nose on it is odd shaped and I do not know if I should try to shape it out of the cake or if I should use rice krispy treats and attach it. If I do the krispy treats what would be the best way to attach them so the nose does not slide or fall of the cake completely?

9 replies
Crazboutcakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 10

May I make a suggestion? I made a donkey cake and had a long snout on the animal plus teeth etc and I figure the best way was to make the whole head out of krispy treats and attach it with tooth pick and dowels to hole it in place, just make sure the head is in a more up right position so it stays. make sure you post a picture so we can see.

candynumber1 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:28am
post #3 of 10

Crazyboutcakes is about right. The rice crispy treats are better for molding a head. If i can help it, I prepare the head at home and attach it at the party place to prevent any movement. Good luck!

PrivateNameHere Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 10

A picture would make it easier for me to give you advice if you can provide one, but I agree, RKT are the best way to do stuff like this. I usually push a dowel into the bottom where I will attach it before the RKT sets to make sure I have it straight and I don't mess up the final product. If it's something straight up and down I put the RKT structure on top of it's own cake board and support it like it's a separate cake layer (with dowels underneath it) and hammer the dowel down through the RKT's cake board. I've had really good luck with this method.

daltonam Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 10

according to just how much is the nose (weight wise) gumpaste & fondant could also work.

Welcome to CC!

Mary050175 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 10

I don't know if any of you remember the dog bank it's from the early 70's.

Mary050175 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 10

side view

simplysweetbygigi Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 10

Not sure his big the nose is but I seen on amazing cakes and ace of cakes sometimes they use styrofoam for parts of cakes. This makes sense cause rice crispy treats covered with fondant might be too heavy. Hope this helps

Mary050175 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for your help and advice. I have decided to make the dog entirely out of rkt then bake a cake to put it on. I will post a pic when I finish it icon_smile.gif

Mary050175 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #10 of 10

The dog bank cake is finished! Yay!! It turned out great. Thank you all for your ideas and help with creating this cake. icon_smile.gif
My brother loved it so did everyone at the restaurant where we took him for dinner!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%