Zebra Decorated Cookies

Baking By messy1 Updated 28 Oct 2010 , 4:53am by EvMarie

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 6

I have been looking at the cookies on the internet and love the zebra ones. Does anyone know how it is done? Do you outline w/black, put your zebra lines on the cookie and let that set up for awhile then fill with white? Or do you think you fill all white and put the black stripes on top of the white when dry? Love to hear some ideas from all you great cookie creators....

5 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 6

I don't do a lot of cookies but I would do the white first.. then flood in with the black after the white has set up for just a bit.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 6

When I do zebra stripes (on anything) I do the white first, then the black. On cookies I would do my white layer icing, let it totally harden then do my zebra stripes in black Royal Icing. Depending on how you want the end product to look, you can thin the royal icing to "paint" it on or just do a flow with the bag/tip.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 6

i do them in fondant. roll out white fondant and cut with cookie shaped cutter, remove excess, take black fondant stripes and lay across fondant shapes and roll to attach, recut witih cookie cutter. This way there is not alot of waste and the cut off bits can be mixed together to make a grey fondant and stored for future use. attache with piping gel or warmed jam, anything sticky.

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #5 of 6

Okay...now that you mention storing fondant for later use....I finally made some MMF and was wondering if it can be frozen and taken out later, thawed and used for decorations. Thanks...

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure about the frozen fondant question...but, maybe the template idea I used for the soccer balls would work for you.

I was determined to make good looking soccer balls. Well, I'm not a super fab piper. So, I made a template out of cardstock. I printed out soccer ball clip art the size of my cookie cutter. I then used an exacto knife to cut out the black shapes. I layed it over my cookies and outlined with an edible marker. I then went back and piped black over my edible marker lines & filled. After it set for 24 hours, I flooded the remaining shapes with white.

Maybe you could do the same with your zebra stripes. Except you may have to draw in your desired zebra pattern. Use your cutter to draw the initial shape. Draw in your stripes. Exacto knife them out & then lay over each cookie and trace where you need to pipe. They'll all the be the same pattern this way.

That would work for royal icing. Butttttt, I guess you could make a template for the black zebra stripes to cut from for fondant as well. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%