Tilting Cakes

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:52am by CWR41

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 2

I have had this problem before, but I made a cake that began tilting by the time I delivered it! The cake was a doctored French vanilla cake by duncan hines. Before carving, I placed the layers in the freezer, double wrapped, and put in the fridge to finish thawing after I carved. The cake was 4 layers tall, with a piece of cardboard with 5 dowel rods placed inside for support. (The dowels are the little pack I found in hobby lobby) I am still new to decorating, so I have not had much time to practice. What could I be doing wrong? Are my cakes simply too soft and moist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get my pictures uploaded to the post of the cake, one right after I finished, and one of what it looked like several hours after I delivered it!

Ok, so I can not figure out how to add the photos to the post so please just check out my pictures of the purse cake! I have the befores and afters on the same post to make it easier!

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

put in the fridge to finish thawing after I carved.

Could be that your cake wasn't allowed to settle at room temperature out on the counter. Chilling for 20-30 minutes is okay after a crumb coat prior to covering with fondant, but refrigerating isn't necessary (unless using a perishable filling).

Quote:

The cake was 4 layers tall, with a piece of cardboard with 5 dowel rods placed inside for support.

Your cardboard was placed in between the 4 layers, right?
(supports and a board for every 4" of cake height like this: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/dowel-rod-construction.cfm)

Quote:

Are my cakes simply too soft and moist?

Probably not... if supported properly, the weight isn't on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%