Spiral Cake??

Decorating By cakedout Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 12:22am by iamcakin

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 8

ok cake friends....wrap your heads around this one! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I am doing a spiral cake design similar to this pic for this weekend. (Gee I love how we say "sure! I can do that!" before we really know what the heck we are doing!!)

I've got Rebecca Tanner's pictures and tutorial, but I just can't my brain around this....anyone wanna try to give me some more help?

In Rebecca's pics, the cake tier was 4 layers! Geez! looking at this wedding cake, how tall do you think each tier must be?

panic is setting in..... icon_cry.gif

7 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 8

hi, I dont see a pic up but most cake slices are usually 4 inches high. hth

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 8

dang icon_confused.gif why isn't the picture coming up? I hate this computer stuff.....

I give up...I can't get it to attach..... icon_mad.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

dang icon_confused.gif why isn't the picture coming up? I hate this computer stuff.....

I give up...I can't get it to attach..... icon_mad.gif

There are still problems attaching pics in a thread.
Try posting it to your gallery, stating clearly that it's not yours, and remove it once your cake is finished.

HTH

(love your avatar pic!! icon_biggrin.gif )

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 8

I can't find the tutorial you are talking about, and I'm not sure exactly what part you are having trouble with, but here's a tutorial I really like:

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2009/09/little-big-planet-cake-completed.html

This cake made so much more sense to me once I saw the triangle pattern she used around the cake to cut the spiral. Hopefully this helps a little.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 8

I think I would do a spiral cake differently. And not by adding to the cake, but carving to remove the spiral. I can't explain this atm as I'm posting on an iPhone but basically graduated sizes of stacked tiers, carving out a half spiral ramp from each tier and lining the ramps up when assembling completely.

It's hard to explain without a sketch... but then I always do my 3d cakes by first planning on paper with several drawings!!

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 8

have you considered doing an off centre topsy turvy? not sure if that is exactly the spiral effect that you are looking for or not but that is how i did the quadding cake in my photos....

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:22am
post #8 of 8

Have you seen this tutorial?

http://cakecentral.com/articles/662/how-to-carve-a-spiral-cake

The spiral shape becomes apparent once you begin the carving. I couldn't wrap my head around the carving, but once you begin, it really works.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%