Amazing Wedding Cakes On Wetv - Metal Forms

Decorating By tchambers Updated 21 Oct 2010 , 2:52am by tchambers

tchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchambers Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone watch Amazing wedding cakes.....? If so, can you please tell me what the metal forms are that Lauri from Cake Alchemy uses when torting her cakes?

12 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 13

ohhhh! i watched it!!! I think it was a marathon or something. sorry i dont have an answer to your question.. the way it goes for me is that I first see them for the first time and my brain kind of goes into a mush. then i see them for the second time and then i see the detail.

KrazyKakesNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKakesNJ Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 13

http://www.bakedeco.com/static/list/cake-rings.htm

They are cake rings, they come in different shapes and sizes.

bakencake Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 13

oh, i see what you are saying. what are those used for?

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 13

Cool, are these what she uses when she bakes her cakes in a large sheet and then cuts each layer out? It looks like she uses them like cookie cutters, instead of baking in an 8" pan, she bakes it in a large sheet and then cuts her 8" circles out of that. Right??

bakencake Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 13

this is to answer my own question.
http://www.howtouse.org/how-to-use-cake-rings.html

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 13

That's interesting... so you're supposed to use them to bake your cake IN. I thought you baked the cake and then used the ring to cut it out. At least that's what it looked like she did!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 13

I have seen them cut the cakes to that size and then put cake filling and cake alternating until full thnen chill....push it out and frost it...they did that on Christopher Garrens for a 4 inch that was real tall, and Marge taped two tubes together and did this. They were not cake rings thought hey were cake tubes I think they called them

madgeowens Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 13

you don't bake cakes in rings...they use them to cut cake from a sheet of cake

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #10 of 13

To add a little info- I'm not sure many people use these to actually bake their cakes HOWEVER they certainly can be used for baking. They are great for things like tarts, just line a pan with parchment use the ring and mold your shell, the tart shell will easily pop out when cooled if done properly. I've also seen them used as molds for things like layered mousse cakes where you will not be finishing the outside of the cake with anything, you stack your layers chill and pop out, leaves a nice clean appearance and shows your layers perfectly

madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:21am
post #11 of 13

ok, well let me correct my statement..........I have not seen them on we tv amazing cakes, bake with them...only stack and mold

MerciCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerciCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:56am
post #12 of 13

Cake rings are generally used for building your cake tiers in. They will give you a clean edge and an even height. You can bake in they if you choose but you must line it with foil to lock in your batter. laurie does like to bake in full sheets and then cut them out by hand. I prefer to bake in cake tins.

Cake rings are used by many pastry chefs because they are so versatile and are many used for setting up mousse cakes.

I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

tchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchambers Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:52am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much. This was really helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%