Firetruck Cake

Decorating By FroggyMomma5 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 11:19pm by Kiddiekakes

FroggyMomma5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FroggyMomma5 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to do a Firetruck cake (3D). I have never attempted anything close to that... aside from my Robot cake, but I think a firetruck will be much more difficult. Any suggestions??? Carved cakes are difficult for me, they usually wind up falling apart. This will be my first cake made for a "customer" instead of a family member as well and I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to making things for other people!
My BIGGEST problem- icing. A) what's the best icing to use to get a smooth finish?
B) recipe to follow?
C) I cannot make my icing red! It is always a mauve-pinkish color no matter how much tint I use. I use the Wilton gel colors so that my icing is not thinned out when coloring.
D) what do I use/ how do I make a silver color icing?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have a week and a half to figure this out!

Thanks!!!

God bless,
FroggyMomma5 icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

1 reply
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 2

Actually a 3D Firetruck is very easy to do...Depending on servings use a 11x15 slab or 12 x18 and you basically cut and stack in sections for the front cab etc...Use Americolor or Chefmaster color gels for a deep red.Wilton is crap and makes your icing taste yucky because you have to use so much...The closest to silver is grey but you can either airbrush or paint on the silver with clear vodka and silver lustre dust mixed like a paste.I made all the ladders etc with Royal Icing about 1 week in advance and then just laid them ontop.I use WBH buttercream which is a non crusting BC but sets up well and is smooth to ice with...Check out my photos..I did a 3D Firetruck a few years back..It was fun!!It is on the farther pages back..I'd post a pic but that fubction isn't working.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%