Getting Air Bubbles Out Of Buttercream Last Minute

Decorating By lovenintheoven Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 5:08am by CWR41

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 2

ACK! What a disaster. OK, not a disaster, but definitely not a success. A local wedding planner asked me last minute (about a week out) to do a 2 tier wedding cake for her family member, with just a simple buttercream frosting on which she would adorn fresh flowers. Easy, right? Oh, and she said she only had XX to spend, which was a good 75% less than what I would charge. But I happily agreed, looking at it as a professional courtesy, and she would bring me more work in the future. Wouldn't you know I made the WORST batch of buttercream ever? I did as I always do, using Sugarshack's no fail recipe. Tasted great, but FULL of air. WHAT HAPPENED? Unfortunately, because of the :ease: of the cake, I waited until about 3 hours before I had to deliver it to start assembling. And I was out of Sweetex, waiting for the nice UPS man with my new tub. (I did use the last of it for this batch). It was passable in the least, and in fact in the lighting of the indoors, one could barely see the air bubbles...but it's killing me! Should I just give her check back to her? I apologized, but she was polite and brushed it off. Now as for the taste, I KNOW that was delicious. What to do? And how, if faced again with this, can one get these air pockets out?

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 2

Could be that you whipped air into it because your paddle wasn't completely covered with a full batch.

You can usually fix it by mixing at a low speed with a little more liquid or else whip it a little by hand with a spatula.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%