Dummy Cakes!!

Decorating By SuziQ1010 Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 1:15am by cattycornercakes

SuziQ1010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuziQ1010 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a dummy cake for a wedding i am doing and I want to know how early i can make this cake? Will it look brittle and dry by wedding time? How do you store dummy cakes and keep them looking fresh?

6 replies
cakesbyamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamber Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 7

I covered a dummy with fondant in June and it still looks great except the Hot Pink color has faded/dulled a bit. It just sits in a big closet with my cake stuff.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 7

depending on the colors, you can make a dummy cake days, weeks, months or a couple of years ahead of time. There's nothing to "spoil". I use my regular icing minus the dream whip and minus the vanilla (we're not eating it, so save the money). It crusts as hard as concrete and I had dummy cakes for over 2 years that traveled to numerous bridal shows.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 7

I think you're just not supposed to let it sit in a window where the sun would hit it as it will fade the colors. Also, I've seen some in bakeries that look dusty, eww. I stored mine for a couple months in a box in my pantry (until the ants found it)

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:54am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I think you're just not supposed to let it sit in a window where the sun would hit it as it will fade the colors. Also, I've seen some in bakeries that look dusty, eww. I stored mine for a couple months in a box in my pantry (until the ants found it)

GRRRRR!!! Ants are the scourge of my kitchen!! icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 7

you had ants on the dummies? icon_confused.gif I had mine sitting around for years and never had one bug at all. Even the dummy M&M cake that had real M&M's on it. Nadda.

Here's a weird story. When I moved to the shop with a BIG picture window, i set the cakes up in the window and my 6 tier white one started to fade to yellow. I thought I was going to have to ditch it and do another one, but I kept putting it off. So one day I checked it and the same sun that had turned it yellow, had eventually turned the yellow back to white!!! icon_surprised.gif Crazy but true.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here's a weird story. When I moved to the shop with a BIG picture window, i set the cakes up in the window and my 6 tier white one started to fade to yellow. I thought I was going to have to ditch it and do another one, but I kept putting it off. So one day I checked it and the same sun that had turned it yellow, had eventually turned the yellow back to white!!! icon_surprised.gif Crazy but true.

Just goes to show that procrastination sometimes pays off! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%