I am trying to figure out a timeline to make a cake for my niece. Can I:
* bake the cake, then immediately
* wrap and freeze the cake (to seal in the moisture)
* torte and fill the cake with dulce de leche
* let it sit for several hours for the caramel to settle
* wipe off bulge and crumb coat
* wrap and re-freeze the cake ready for decoration day
Does this sound about right? I'm quite slow at this as I'm still new, and as I have a young child spare time is taken in chunks, I can't really do all of this in one sitting.
Hiya. I would bake, let cool in tin for 10mins with a damp towel over. Then remove from tin, wrap and freeze. Defrost, tort and fill and let it settle with the filling in for a while - put a damp towel and a book or something on it - then crumbcoat, cover and decorate. I would not refreeze the cake. I have not filled with a caramel filling before but when it gets cold it should not be runny anyway - just ensure you have a bc dam around it.
Sorry when I re read what I wrote I forgot to mention that I don't let them settle as such - just put the layers on and push/smoosh down a bit and then crumbcoat.