Fondant Bow

Decorating By LillyCakes Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:26pm by DeezTreatz

LillyCakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 7

For bosses day I did a zebra print cake with a bow on top. The bow would not stop falling for some reason. I used Rhonda's MMF (which by the way is great!!!!). My reason is because it was too thick and should have been thinner. Would you please give me your suggestions? Thanks

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 7

Check out the instructions in my signature below. Using straight fondant and rolling it too thick are two of the primary reasons bows fail. I'm sorry that happened to you.

LillyCakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for giving me this information. I have another cake to do at the end of this month so I will be following your very detailed instructions.

CakesbyCarla Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 7

@ DianeLM - By straight fondant I'm assuming you mean using just fondant and not mixing it with anything else?

Well, I am afraid I disagree with you. Now, I wouldn't do a bow w/ MMF. It doesn't dry as stiff as say, the Wilton brand (which is what I use for bow cakes).

I roll it out, per the instructions that come with the box of fondant (wilton has instructions for making a bow in their packages of fondant) about an 1/8 inch thick, cut it about 1/2 - 3/4 inches wide, form a loop, lay it on it's side (so it's a big ovalish shape) and let them dry for a few days.

I then assemble with royal icing and have a lovely bow that rides in the trunk of my little neon down a bumpy dirt road without any breakage. icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346149

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1692756

DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 7

CakesbyCarla, your cakes are so cute! I think it's awesome that you're able to make bows from straight fondant, nothing added.

But... I still wouldn't advise anyone to do it that way. I stated that straight fondant is one of the primary reasons bows fail. Not the only reason. Nor is failure guaranteed. A subtley that I guess wasn't clear in my original message. However, from years of reading these boards, it's a pretty common problem.

To me, it's kind of like saying you can survive a car ride without wearing a seat belt, but I'd never advise anyone to do it. icon_smile.gif

cakeville82 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 7

I use either fondant w/ tylose or gumpaste, either way you want to roll it thin( I use a 2 on the pasta roller).
Ribbon isn't thick it's thin and delicate ,maybe that's why yours don't completely fall flat Carla because you roll it so thick?
I let each piece dry at least over night and then assemble.
I like to use gumpaste glue so it dries clear and you don't see RI or chocolate in the center.

By not adding a strengthener like tylose or gumpaste you run the risk of humidity, heat or just movement damaging the bow.

DeezTreatz Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

To get your fondant bow to dry quicker and hold its shape you have to mix it half and half.
Half fondant (any type) and half gumpaste like Cakeville82 says above!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%