What Should I Work On If I Want To Make A Go Of It?

Business By Mom2LiamandQuinn Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm by jenmat

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 6

I've been kicking around the idea of my own business for years, but have never seriously looked into it because commercial kitchens are so expensive, I have small children, and I work part time as a WMI while my DH is in school so time is limited. However, I just discovered a place that rents space as their business- it's set up as 2 separate kitchens and you have to get all the inspections, etc done yourself.

I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. Looking at my photos, do you think I'm good enough at this point, or should I keep practicing and building up my portfolio for a while longer? I've never been very confident in my piping skills but have certainly seen some "professional" cakes from bakers in my area that are comparable or even a little less well- done.

5 replies
mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

Based on your pics, I would say you definitely have the skills. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 6

I agree..You have the skills....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

You asked what you should work on to make a go of a biz?

one word.

Networking.

Your skills in networking with other vendors will make you or break you.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 6

I looked at your pics. You have great piping skills. You are also very creative. If it is skill sets you are looking to improve: I would work on leveling and smoothing your cakes a little better. How fast are you at decorating? You may need/want to work on getting faster if that's something you think you need. Those are skills issues, but then there are a myriad of business issues - which can be found all over these blogs. Beyond having the right skill sets, having the business sense might even be more important.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 6

agree 100% with Leahs. You need to know people in the industry (wedding) and be able to make them happy.
Business is the part most of us (home to business decorators/bakers) lack- we figure we'll learn as we go. Study cost analysis, make a business plan- research advertising, research client bases out there, and figure out what is going to make it worth your while before you even sell your first cake. Once business picks up, you won't have the time, and you'll be training your customers poorly, and regret it later. Trust me, talking from experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%