Carrot Cake For Baby - No Sugar?

Baking By crazyladybaker Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 11:47am by cakecraft

crazyladybaker Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a baby's 1st birthday and mom says she doesn't want me to sweeten with any kind of sugar.
So, what would you use? She said she wanted it a little sweet so do I use just carrots or try something like applesauce, prune baby food ????

Any ideas or suggestions?

8 replies
auzzi Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #2 of 9

Sugar performs many functions in baking .. reducing or replacing is not straightforward ..

Sugar, besides being a sweetener,
1. provides structure and tenderizes the crumb of the cake by
...absorbing moisture
...inhibits gluten developement
...regulates the gelatinization of the starch
...cuts air into the batters during processing
...stablizes beaten egg
2. provides "colour" during baking
3. increases the shelf-life of cakes.

Why does she not want "any kind of sugar" ?

Sugar is a sweetener: as are any of the natural alternatives. Fructose, glucose, syrups .. they are all sugars .. Then you get into artifical alternatives ..

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:52am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for reading and replying.
The mom said the baby has not had any sugar and doesn't want her to start now. She said I could use fruits in place of sugar. Now, I suppose the baby won't really know because she has never had cake before.
I just have never baked a cake without some form of granulated sugar, honey or corn syrup so I am at a loss at how and what to use.
Thanks for all the info too.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 9

If I did not want my baby to have sugar...I would not get my baby a cake.

I would stick a candle in a cup of applesauce. No, seriously!!!! One time we had a really crazy week and we were not able to have a cake and everything for one of my babies' first birthdays...and we took him to Baskin Robbins and put a candle in a bowl of ice cream and he was smiling just as big over that as he would have over a piece of cake!!!!

Cake is sweet. Get cake, or don't get it. haha. Or give him a slice of banana bread or something.... (talking to the mother here...)

dreamcakesmom Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

Totoally agree with kitagrl- Not sure getting a sugarless cake makes sense but maybe to appease her if you are up for the challenge you could look for a recipe for diabetics?

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:38am
post #6 of 9

Sugar is more "natural" for babies than Splenda which is what most diabetic recipes are made with....that or sugar from fruits which is just as "sweet" as sugar from sugar cane. haha.

Silly mom. Only child? LOL. (You can tell I'm a mom of four 'em eat cake.)

leily Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:45am
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

If I did not want my baby to have sugar...I would not get my baby a cake.

Same here! and i didn't. My daughter had banana bread "cake" (just baked in a 3" pan) for her first birthday. It still has some sugar in it, but not as sweet as a cake. She loved it and no one else cared b/c i made a cake for all of the guest.
We put a little topper on it and i wrapped a ribbon around it like i did the cake and put it on a cake pedistal to match the cake.

crazyladybaker Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:03am
post #8 of 9

Yep, only child she is absolutely gorgeous too. icon_rolleyes.gif
They want a two tier cake with the bottom being the adults cake and the top cake being the baby cake. She insists on butterflies too, hopefully those can be sugar.
I guess I will try to experiment with the carrot cake this weekend but even that won't be easy because the cake will be 6". Maybe I can start out with a base batter and then add different ingredients to each one to find the best taste.
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun...ugh
Thanks so much for all the input ladies!

cakecraft Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:47am
post #9 of 9

I confess I was a little like this mom with my firstborn....we made all of his food ourselves, with no added salt or sugar. For his first birthday, I made a regular cake for guests to enjoy but made him a banana bread "cake" with cream cheese icing requiring way less sugar than a regular buttercream. He had not had added sugar up to that point, only what naturally occurs in fruits and veggies, and I didn't want him overloading all at once and getting sick at his first little party!

We got some fantastic pics of him and truth be told he wasn't all that interested in eating, anyway. My experience with smash cakes is that kids just muck about in them and don't eat much at all.

Perhaps this can reassure the new mom icon_smile.gif HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%