Looking For Advice With Gum Paste Please

Decorating By pinkjacs Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 6:59am by pinkjacs

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:25am
post #1 of 11

I have a cake to do for Friday and it has a gum paste handbag and shoes on top. I have minimal experience of working with gum paste but this cake needs to be great lol.

As much advice as possible please.

I find gum paste hard to work with but I work with fondant all the time and last time I worked with GP it cracked and it was store bought.

thanks an advance

10 replies
pinkjacs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:35am
post #2 of 11

http://elaboration.co.nz/shoes_handbag_cake.htm

this is the general idea for the cake, I am also not sure about smothing the fondant over the corners

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:54am
post #3 of 11

Since you have time, can you make them out of fondant with tylose added? They will dry faster with the tylose, but depending on the fondant you are using, they will dry without adding it, just slower. HTH

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 11

From the pictures of the shoes and handbags it seems like the shoes and the handbag all started from rolled out gumpaste and then cut into a shape and then glues to the next piece. If you know what I mean...like the straps of the shoe and side of the bag aren't hanf molded or anything. I love working with gumpaste and I treat just like fondant except I know it dries faster. I usually keep whatever extra I am working with under plastic or using the wilton's practice boards works great too. I use store bought gumpaste and just color it with the gel. Just make sure your hands and surface are greased.

Gumpaste dries fairly quick but if you need to keep something upright and can't hold it, use crumples up paper towel and shove it in the places that needs lifting and then obviously remove when dry.

HTH

pinkjacs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 11

thank you very much. I just bought the ready coloured stuff and got home and noticed they have charged me the wrong price for one so feels like an expensive cake already icon_sad.gif

karen I seen the tylose powder in the shop today wish I had bought it I will get it next time, what ratio do you use??

Amy so pleased you said greased hands and surface I use a powdered one but greased makes sense.

thank you both for your tips!!

Karen421 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11

For me - it depends what fondant I am using. If I am using Wilton, I use less than if I am using Fondarific. Fondarific takes forever to dry, so I use A LOT! I never measure because I only mix what I can work on at one time. It will feel firm, but not stiff, sorry that really doesn't help much! icon_redface.gif

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

I usually mix half fondant and half gumpaste. Gives you a little more time to work with it but the stability of the gumpaste!

pinkjacs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 11

thanks I will let you know how I get on

pinkjacs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 11

thank you all for your help.

here is the end result

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1838859

i really enjoyed working on them