Please Help! I Need A Good Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By CassisCake Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm by cookiedecorator

CassisCake Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:17am
post #1 of 7

Hello,
I am new to this site, and I am looking for a good recipe for the perfect recipe for sugar cookies. I would like something that decorated with royal icing well, something that travels great, and really just the perfect cookie. I keep looking online and trying out different recipes but most have the same problem, after I follow the recipe exactly it's still gooey and I can't roll it out. I have to add quite a bit of flour to it and by the time it's at a state to be rolled out the cookie ends up tasteless. Please any links or recipes would be helpful icon_smile.gif

Cassi

6 replies
JanH Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:24am
post #2 of 7
Jillfcs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:28am
post #3 of 7

I agree -- No Fail Sugar Cookies are excellent. Pair them with Antonia's Royal Icing recipe, also found on this website.

JanH Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:34am
post #4 of 7
brincess_b Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:41am
post #5 of 7

I use peggy porschens recipe. To be honest, sugar cookies don't really taste of much, it's the icing that makes them! For rolling out, maybe look for a silicon mat,will mean u need less flour.
xx

awatterson Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 10:06am
post #6 of 7

This is the recipe that I use for the cookies and the icing. I like the glace better because it gets hard, but not so hard that it will break your teeth. I have shipped them over to Iraq, so I know that they hold up. I use emulsions instead of extracts as well.

Ingredients
  1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  2 cups white sugar
  4 eggs
  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  5 cups all-purpose flour
  1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  1 teaspoon salt
Directions
1.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3.  Bake 10 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15672/glaze-icing-sugar-cookie-icing

cookiedecorator Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 7

Basic Rolled Sugar Cookies

* 1 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup superfine sugar, or granulated sugar, processed in blender or food processor for 30 seconds
* ½ tsp. Salt
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
* ½ tsp. Almond extract or emulsion, optional
* 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour.

Cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes with mixer set at medium speed (see Dough Preparation and Baking tutorial for more information on creaming times). Add yolk, beat well. Add whole egg, vanilla and optional almond extract and beat until well-incorporated. Add flour; beat at low speed just until flour is mixed in; do not overmix. Divide dough in halves or thirds and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour and up to 2 days.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dust work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll dough to 1/4" thick, sprinkling with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment or silicone-lined pans. Bake in preheated oven until cookies appear dry on the surface and are light golden brown on the edges, about 10 minutes (very large cookies may take up to 12 or 13 minutes). Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks and cool completely before decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%