Whites Of The Eyes

Decorating By zespri Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 1:41am by Kitagrl

zespri Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:41am
post #1 of 10

what sort of product would I use to paint the whites of the eyes on a modelled figure?

9 replies
thatslifeca Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:56am
post #2 of 10

I don't model figures but I know this web site, it's called extra - icing dot com (don't leave spaces). She is from England I believe and does some amazing models and such, maybe you can find some ideas on there.

Jillfcs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:19am
post #3 of 10

If you mean the white dot on the black part of the eye to show a little more expression, I just dip the end of a toothpick in white food color and dot it on.

zespri Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:20am
post #4 of 10

Yes, I mean that, and also when people paint it on. Do you just use gel colouring, or something special? Straight out of the jar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillfcs

If you mean the white dot on the black part of the eye to show a little more expression, I just dip the end of a toothpick in white food color and dot it on.

Jillfcs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:50am
post #5 of 10

For the white dot, I do not mix the food coloring with anything; however, when painting directly onto fondant, I mix a little vodka with the food coloring and then use that as my paint. The vodka allows the paint to dry relatively quickly so the fondant will not get gooey from the moisture.

zespri Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:51am
post #6 of 10

Thank you, that's very helpful! I'll get some white gel. And I'm sure I'll be able to rummage up some vodka icon_wink.gif

Jillfcs Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:57am
post #7 of 10

Youre cute hic-up! I have also made teeny-tiny white balls, flattened them, dampened my paint brush to pick them up and applied to the black of the eye that was until I learned the toothpick/white food color trick.

zespri Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:02am
post #8 of 10

I love you sooooo much!!! lol... at least that's what I'm pretty sure I told everyone last time I drank WAY too much

Good tip about the teeny tiny white balls, I have been DYING to know how people transfered tinky tiny pieces of fondant. Every time I try they just go all ridiculous and squashed looking, and transparent.

poomagoo Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:35am
post #9 of 10

You could also use a bit of white royal icing if you have any made up - I do that sometimes. Just make sure you knock down any point with a damp paintbrush.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 10

I use the white Americolor straight out of the jar...nothing to thin it with, or it won't be opaque enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%