Topsy Turvy ????

Decorating By Sunshine0063 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 6:00am by sweettreat101

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 5:28am
post #1 of 2

For those of you that have made a topsy turvy cake, I was wondering if you can make it with a cake box mix or should you use a " doctored cake box recipe" .
Some of the cake box mixes are very moist and crumbly or soft so I was wondering if they would hold up ok on a TT cake or which brand would be best to use. I'd appreciate any help this is my first one.

1 reply
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 2

I used Betty Crocker cake mixes for the one I made last week. One tier was lemon which was extra moist because my friend wanted me to add one box of instant lemon pudding to each mix plus lemon juice for the water and the bottom was Betty Crocker German chocolate. The cake turned out beautiful. The only thing I have to say is make sure you place a dowel down the center. I was using Stress free cake supports with non skid mat which the site said you didn't need to dowel so I didn't boy was I wrong. The top tier fell off during transport smashing the bottom layer. I slapped the top back on thinking that it couldn't be repaired and took it home. Look at it for a while and was determined to fix it. Added a center dowel and grabbed my fondant smoother and off I went. Now I am kicking myself for not taking a before and after. My friend didn't seemed to think I was lying about damaging the cake until I pointed out the fondant balls and circles in my driveway. I was surprised the box mix held up perfectly. I also used Red Velvet to make a 3 D sitting dog last week. I didn't add anything extra to the mix and it worked great. Just make sure you carve the cakes while they are frozen and then decorate once they have defrosted. Don't forget the dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%