Pumpkin/spice Cake Recipe For 3D Cake???? Please Help!!

Baking By fairydustsll Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 12:09am by BakeLoveMom

fairydustsll Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

I'm in need of a pumpkin or pumpkin spice cake recipe that will hold up as a 3D sculpted cake....anyone have a recipe for one that you've tested before?? Thanks so much!

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 5

I use almost any flavor as 3D cake....really. Its all in the support, and if you keep it refrigerated it stays more firm....but I carve with any of my cakes, both doctored box mix and scratch.

BosCakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 5

I haven't tested this, but if nothing else, this is what i would try...i normally use the recipe for "durable cake for 3d/stacked" (in most saved recipes). if you used a spice cake mix, and swapped pumpkin puree for the oil (blot out moisture first) that might work...i have found that pumpkin puree can make the texture spongy in other things, though. just an idea!

fairydustsll Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your help! Unfortunately, the cake will be too large when it's finished to be refridgerated. Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned, but this particular cake has to travel almost 2 hours....that may not seem too bad, but I live in WV. Bad, twisty, & mountainous roads all of the way there, so it has me kind of nervous. Thank you for the suggestions though! They're greatly appreciated!

BakeLoveMom Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:09am
post #5 of 5

When I do a spice cake for a wedding or 3-D cake, I use a spice cake mix and a pound cake mix together. It helps the cake stand up so the task...hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%